So long and thanks for all the fish

mcanderson

Visit site
Well after 10 years of subscription to Yachting Monthly I got my last copy over the weekend. It sort to comes at the same time as we get ready to move from sail to power so it feels right.

I like the magazine and the BBs can be worth their weight in gold but I just think things are gotten stuck.

If you read the October edition it's full of woe. You can drown at seeing the water, lifejackets can save your life, but might kill you. Sailing might kill you. Crossing the Bay of Biscay will definitely kill you. You must buy this old British boat, or this very expensive Scandinavian one. Did I mention that EPIRBs/PLBs are a very good idea, because without one, or even better both, you will be killed - by water....

Anyway I still read it cover to cover and will miss part of it, might even pick up an odd copy passing through LHR (which I do at least once a week).

On the plus side I took out a subscription to Motor Boat and Yachting. I look forward to the first review on which ice maker makes the perfect cube for your cocktail shaker.

Seajet

Visit site
It's not all roses with mobo's you know; lots of explosive fuel, bilge blowers, top heavy, disabled by lobster pots etc; and there's always the risk of being taken out by a taste police sniper the moment you turn on the underwater lights ... :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I like the magazine and the BBs can be worth their weight in gold but I just think things are gotten stuck.

The first "Confession" is surely the most boring ever. "I was trying to step from one boat to another and almost fell in but didn't" is worthy of the Sage of Llangollen himself, though it involves no funny foreigners.

[29051]

Visit site
Well after 10 years of subscription to Yachting Monthly I got my last copy over the weekend. It sort to comes at the same time as we get ready to move from sail to power so it feels right.

If you read the October edition it's full of woe. You can drown at seeing the water, lifejackets can save your life, but might kill you. Sailing might kill you. Crossing the Bay of Biscay will definitely kill you. You must buy this old British boat, or this very expensive Scandinavian one. Did I mention that EPIRBs/PLBs are a very good idea, because without one, or even better both, you will be killed - by water....

Anyway I still read it cover to cover and will miss part of it, might even pick up an odd copy passing through LHR (which I do at least once a week).

On the plus side I took out a subscription to Motor Boat and Yachting. I look forward to the first review on which ice maker makes the perfect cube for your cocktail shaker.

It's worth checking your local library emagazines. I get Yachting Monthly free every month on my iPad, from the library. Also New Scientist, National Geographic etc.

Very convenient to be able to download it when abroad, and nice to have a few magazines on flights without needing to carry them. You can download them to read offline. The library emails when a new edition is available.

Keef

Visit site
Magazines in general are a bit of a waste of money and paper. For the price of a couple of magazines you can usually purchase a book which represents far better VFM. I usually only ever buy magazines or newspapers if I'm doing a train journey or a long flight.

It's simply a fact that some things offer very good VFM and other things are a bit of a waste of cash. The fact that most magazines simply recycle similar articles on a regular basis makes them a not particularly wise thing to spend on, sailing magazine publishers are by no means alone in this.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
After 10 years I've just given up too. Most of the articles seem to be repeated over and over. It can't be easy to keep fresh ideas coming but I don't think I'll be subscribing again to a while

Duster

N/A
Visit site
After 10 years I've just given up too. Most of the articles seem to be repeated over and over. It can't be easy to keep fresh ideas coming but I don't think I'll be subscribing again to a while

After around 40 years, me too. The full-page article - with pics - in one mag on how to hold a hammer seemed aimed at 6 year-olds. Still, I understand that was a very-last-minute substitution for an up-to-date and timely 'practical' article by one of 'The Disappeareds' - who withdrew publication rights under the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988 ( as amended ) for something that was already 'signed-off' to the printers. An expensive 'toys out of pram'.....?

People won't bother investing time and effort into an unwelcoming climate. Customers will move on, go elsewhere. They don't come back.

Mrnotming

Visit site
Haha funny I posted the opposite Mac, but I was needing fodder on a flight,so possibly enjoyed the copy better knowing I had the PLB in the overhead plus a new electronic flare to boot (or not to boot up that is the question) nonsense says he!
No trouble with these items at airport security,they were more interested in locating my missing aftershave!

Sybarite

Visit site
I occasionally have a moment of weakness, re-mortgage the house and go out and buy PBO, YM or YW in the Paris branch of WH Smith.

Each magazine is now approaching 10€ and so it's not an action that I undertake regularly.

rotrax

Visit site
I picked up a recent issue of PBO at Brixham Marina-they said I could take it.

Apart from the launching and cross channel trip in the project boat it was about the same as a ten year old one. Only the up tp date info was new.

As a past contributor to Motorcycle Magazines I know how it works-re-jig old stuff a little and it dont cost much!

In the now defunct Motorcycle Mechanic's magazine you could set your watch by the monthly issues. Prepare for winter-Christmas gifts plus a seasonal story, clean off the winter protective gunk and service ready for spring, as well as how to decoke your cylinder head ready for the coming season.

Sound familiar.............................

prv

Visit site
Only the up tp date info was new.

And magazine production schedules mean that even that isn't usually very new :)

Reading the news bit always feels a bit deja vu, as most of the stories have already been picked up here as soon as they happened, discussed, and then forgotten. Then the magazine comes out a month or two later, you read it and think "oh yeah, I remember back when that happened" :)

Pete

JumbleDuck

Visit site
In the now defunct Motorcycle Mechanic's magazine you could set your watch by the monthly issues. Prepare for winter-Christmas gifts plus a seasonal story, clean off the winter protective gunk and service ready for spring, as well as how to decoke your cylinder head ready for the coming season.

I'll bet a fiver that the next edition of PBO has "Your handy guide to laying up", probably with a checklist.

Reading the news bit always feels a bit deja vu, as most of the stories have already been picked up here as soon as they happened, discussed, and then forgotten. Then the magazine comes out a month or two later, you read it and think "oh yeah, I remember back when that happened" :)

I've just been playing a game called "Read through an old PBO and guess when it was printed". The editor's message from Sarah Norbury told me it was quite old, as did the progress report on the Cornish Crabber 26, but other than that I couldn't work it out. I've just gone back (to the toilet) and checked ... it's the September 2010 edition.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com

Your savings on PBO should not be missed, I also used to get it regular but stopped two years ago as many say its the same old dribble every month, I picked up my mates PBO last month to see if had improved
and I read with utmost astonishment of how to use a hammer :)

Mike

ronsurf

Visit site
I don't mind the repeated articles - the can often remind you of the job you were going to do last time they published the article. What YM and PBO really lack is expressing the joy of sailing. Or of even being near the water. The OP is right, they are usually full of gloom and doom and regulations. When you read a magazine about sailing, you expect to be enthused to go sailing, or to want to go sailing, at least - not put the mag down with a sigh and think, "Maybe it's time to sell up.."