• No

Votes: 99 81.8%
  • Yes, once only

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Yes, more than one failed in a single boat

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Yes, more than one, but in different boats

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • The failure was corrosion related (bronze)

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • The failure was corrosion related (non-bronze)

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • The failure was impact related

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Failure due to other causes (please post reason)

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Er, is this meant to be a poll?

Blood-yell, give me 2 minutes to fight the damn software constraints, will ya!

The poll should be up now. Please vote generously :D

Please post generously too, Snooksie needs to know what really happens at sea if they are going to carry out realistic scenarios rather than just smash up a nice boat for the helluvit (& to sell a few mags)

fireball

Visit site
Sea Cock failure ... no

but the Sea Hens don't like laying ...

Sea Horses BBQ nicely though ...

Sea Dogs ... only if they're old ...

rickym

yachtgalene.blogspot.co.uk
Only ever had Blakes or DZR bronze ball valves. Only ever had a stuck ball one and a slight weep from a blakes, neither was a disaster. Replaced the ball on the piles, tightened the blakes until I could dry out and cleaned up then regreased -no problems

Baggy

Visit site
My raw water feed to engine on a brass ball valve unable to close off, due to the ball thingy
not being there..
:eek:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
My raw water feed to engine on a brass ball valve unable to close off, due to the ball thingy
not being there..
:eek:

Cheers for that - but not actually a sinking risk anyway was it? Interesting.

TBH, I was looking for catastrophic water rushing in failures. I have had to deal with seizures a few times - I just see that as a maintenance issue rather than a failure - except that I had failed to maintain it in time.

Last edited:

fireball

Visit site
TBH, I was looking for catastrophic water rushing in failures.
Back in the distant past when racing in Junior Week (see a long time ago init!) - my Mirror didn't have a measurement cert - so I had to prove it wouldn't sink by ... sinking it ... which involved filling the boat to above the daggerboard case ... it took HOURS despite capsising it and get a dozen of us to sit on it whilst righting it and leaving the bailer and bungs open ...

took even longer to bail the blummin thing out too ...

Personally I reckon they were just annoyed that an ancient Mirror - patched to blazes - was beating their little precious' brand new boats ...

Another little tail - just after we bought our first big boat we went on a flotilla holiday (booked and paid for before we thought about buying!) ... the bilges were a little smelly - so the engineer said he'd wash them out - on enquiring how he'd do this he invited me to assist - and remove the log AND depth guage from near the base of the mast (Moody S31) ... the inrush of water was .......

.... tame ...despite they had no flaps ! and it was easy enough to refit the transducers - I practised a couple of times so it would be easy to remove and clean our log on the just purchased vessel - it also helped reassure SWMBO that we wouldn't sink when I did it ... !!

sighmoon

Visit site
Cheers for that - but not actually a sinking risk anyway was it? Interesting.

TBH, I was looking for catastrophic water rushing in failures. I have had to deal with seizures a few times - I just see that as a maintenance issue rather than a failure - except that I had failed to maintain it in time.
There's probably no risk of a boat sinking by a hose perishing either, but put the two together...

nickd

Visit site
I have posted no, but I have only had a boat for 2 years so whilst I am expereincing loads of disasters most if not all are of my own doing! Live and learn:)

yoda

Visit site
I have had the prop shaft slip out. Easily resolved by use of a softwood bung except that the prop was hitting the rudder so steering became difficult. Now have a hose clip on the shaft to avoid the same happening again.

Yoda

Billjratt

Visit site
By failure I mean it doesn't do what it should, not that the boat was taking on water.
My failures are jamming open due to neglect and lack of use.
The main problem being they were out of reach, and should have been somewhere else.
They are now glassed up and new ones nearer to hand.