Smart tabs for fletcher 19gts

citygent111

Visit site
Hi all

Thinking of adding some smart tabs to help get up on the plain quicker when the boat is full of fatties and towing - it's struggling at the moment.

Quick question - would it be a problem if I bought tabs that were the next size up for our boat?

The SX Smart Tabs sizing is a little confusing - either for boats upto 20ft but with smaller engines, or for our engine (Merc 4.3mpi 220hp) but boat length of 21-25ft.

I've seen some 2nd hand (almost new) of the 21-25' sizing, but unsure how it might affect handling etc.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

citygent111

Visit site
As a guide from the Bennett’s website

As a general rule for boats with max speeds of 40MPH, choose at least one inch of trim tab span (per side) for every foot of boat length. For example, a 22′ boat would use a 24”x9”.
Thanks for this! Ok, so I wonder where it says "at least" one inch per ft, if there's no issue in going a bit bigger?

stelican

Visit site
Thanks for this! Ok, so I wonder where it says "at least" one inch per ft, if there's no issue in going a bit bigger?
We used to regularly fit 12 inch Bennett tabbs to Fairline 21 Weekends. Never had any complaints.
That size were also factory fit and I vaguely remember that was in the days before power trim on the sterndrives
Not sure if you would have the space to fit larger on your 19ft Fletcher and I think they would be very responsive (twitchy)

ontheplane

Visit site
By Smart Tabs do you mean self levelling hydralic - or the sprung passive type that rise up as you go faster?

Don't know if the answer will be different.

Also, have you tried a sterndrive hydrofoil?

citygent111

Visit site
By Smart Tabs do you mean self levelling hydralic - or the sprung passive type that rise up as you go faster?

Don't know if the answer will be different.

Also, have you tried a sterndrive hydrofoil?
These are the tabs I'm looking at: Nauticus Smart Tabs SX Trim Tabs

Not tried a hydrofoil but I have a good feeling these will be a solution. We went out yesterday in slight chop but with only 2 adults & 1 teenager aboard. Big difference in time to plain, so the addtional weight was obviously an issue. These tabs also help cut bow rise which we struggle with, simply because all the weight is in the rear half of the boat so a slight bow rise is magnified!

Won't get them fitted till winter so will be interesting to see how she drives next year :-(

PalmaTarga

Visit site
I bought the SmartTabs a few years ago for a small cuddy boat of a similar size to your Fletcher. I didn't take into account the bathing ladder, so never installed them. I think it's quite common on boats of that size.

If you don't need a bathing ladder, they will make a difference, but I got the feeling they would get brittle over time.

citygent111

Visit site
I bought the SmartTabs a few years ago for a small cuddy boat of a similar size to your Fletcher. I didn't take into account the bathing ladder, so never installed them. I think it's quite common on boats of that size.

If you don't need a bathing ladder, they will make a difference, but I got the feeling they would get brittle over time.
I must admit, I didn't consider the ladder either!! I'm waiting for the tabs to be delivered but had a look at the gap and ai THINK they should fit ok!! 🙈