Slipstream Effect.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
After hundreds of miles of training on my own I got to try it out last night. Quite by chance an electric scooter passed me on a cycle track in Gosport. I tucked in behind him and was suddenly going faster and pedalling less hard. Really noticeable effect. I know that I should get a proper road bike and go faster than the electric scooters. But can we have some more people in group 1 please to share the load!

fireball

Visit site
Slipstream effect is excellent - but be careful doing it with people you don't know - Always keep an eye out up the road and try to anticipate any alterations in course or speed - potholes being one of the main inputs!

I did a bit of slipstreaming last night - 2 up TT .... took a minute off my solo PB - couple of points I had to drop back because I wasn't certain about the course/speed combo and didnt really want to collide with my teammate!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
David, I might well have to drop into your group on the day. You know I have a spare road bike?

Thanks but I don't think I had better change now. I have the hybrid bike set up so that it fits. Or possibly the bike has moulded me into the right shape, not sure which.

oGaryo

Visit site
Guys, I was thinking of this in terms of an over crowded middle group and it makes sense to stay flexible, let me explain, or at least try to. Even if you start off in a group, I think we should retain a degree of flexibility to be able to move between the groups as the ride progresses. If a faster group catches up with a particular group then that is the point in my mind that someone in the faster group starting to huff and puff a bit can drop back in to the slower group being overtaken or indeed, if you're finding the pace a little slow and fancy putting a spurt on in the next section then join the overtaking group. The only premise being is I recommend a minimum of two people in a group. I'll cut and past this in to the Rider Group thread to get some discussion on it.

This way Paul, you may find that you join the slower group that sets off first, the middle group catch you up and you may wish to then stay with that middle group whilst someone drops back to take your places

Should make for a nice mix of everyone getting to ride with each other for a bit by the end of the ride.

What do you think?

P4Paul

Visit site
After hundreds of miles of training on my own I got to try it out last night. Quite by chance an electric scooter passed me on a cycle track in Gosport. I tucked in behind him and was suddenly going faster and pedalling less hard. Really noticeable effect. I know that I should get a proper road bike and go faster than the electric scooters. But can we have some more people in group 1 please to share the load!

In group one as well and you will find I make a great big hole in the air as I cycle so feel free to slipstream. Mind you I expect you are thinking of travelling a bit faster than my non aerodynamic shape will allow. :)

I should also warn you that Kerry spends all the time when cycling downhill and on the flats thinking of open questions she can ask you when going up hill, the steeper the hill the more questions she asks.

I know she is my wife and I should love her, but when I am working my ass off dragging my lardy lump up a steep hill on a bike and she wants to know what colour I think would be nice for the spare room curtains; it does push my affections to breaking point.