Size limitation for edge glued carvel planking

makobuilders

Visit site
I'm speaking to a shipyard about a new construction and all of their hulls are 3 inch thick hardwood planking edge glued and screwed to the frames. This system works for them, but I have read articles where with edge-glued it is recommended not to exceed small thicknesses. Does anyone have knowledge of this and the limitations?

DownWest

Visit site
Think you need to get over to the Wooden Boat Forum and ask this question. Edge gluing big planks does not sound very mainstream... Strip planking is usually small sizes, edge glued and sheathed in either a couple of wood veneers and/or glass cloth with époxy resin.
It would help if you gave an idea of the size of your project. Strip had been used on boats of 50 odd feet.
From what I have read, Qatar still builds classic plank on frame, with caulked seams, not glued. Big planks tend to move, which does not favour gluing, but has worked for centuries with caulking.

PhillM

Visit site
My 24.5 footer is 7/8th - 1 inch thick mahogany, nailed, edge glued and screwed to frames. Seems to have stuck together OK for over 50 years.

ccscott49

Visit site
My planking is 1 5/8" not quite edge glued, but splined and glued, still in fine fettle, from 1965. We are 57 feet.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
My hull is 1" mahogany, glued and splined above the waterline. 34 feet LOA, 24 feet LWL. I never heard of 3 inch planks being glued....but who knows?

DownWest

Visit site
Just wonder if this has translation problems between the OP and the builders? 3" thick.. but how wide? Doesn't make sense, esp; in an area where trad skills are still practiced.

ccscott49

Visit site
I'm speaking to a shipyard about a new construction and all of their hulls are 3 inch thick hardwood planking edge glued and screwed to the frames. This system works for them, but I have read articles where with edge-glued it is recommended not to exceed small thicknesses. Does anyone have knowledge of this and the limitations?

Actually would have thought the thicker the planks the more glued edge, the better,