Sitting in an empty house

kunyang

Visit site
Here I am, sitting watching Griff on the computer, contemplating our next step. Spindrift is nearly ready, a couple of weeks and we can start shakedown cruises, but until then she remains on the hard. The house will be empty except for one side board and a dressing table, a charity collects them next week. New carpets come on Wednesday and hopefully it'll be let. Channel islands in May before leaving Falmouth in June for Portugal and Spain.
We intend to head for Cartagena for the winter, if we do , what notice for booking a winter berth should I give? Any other advice?
Dave

kunyang

Visit site
Trying to chill. Seems like so much to do in the next few weeks. It'll be better when my wife finished work, and two of us can finish off stuff.

Carmel2

Visit site
When I was in your shoes we were in London, oh at work me trying to tie all the lose ends, what worked for me was work in the morning ie sorting stuff out etc, pint at lunch time, and then go and do something in the afternoon, after the best part of 15 years living and working in London town the amount of stuff that was on my doorstep that I had never got round to doing was vast.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This is down to you and how much you want to put your self under presser , we been living on aboard on and off for over 20 plus years and full time for the last seven , we have never booked a winter berth , we never been refused a berth and we never been in an Marina that's been full . One of the very few place I would book in advance would be Crete , has it does get full . Cartagena , there two Marina and it getting poplar but not that poplar as yet .
It put you under get stress if you book up before hand , you might just find somewhere you like to stay before you get there .
This sound like it going to be your first year , my suggest is , take it slowly and enjoy , dont do what most do , rush to get into the Med and miss out on some great places on the way , which you may never see again . Good luck and enjoy the ride .

Last edited:

blampied

Visit site
Here I am, sitting watching Griff on the computer, contemplating our next step. Spindrift is nearly ready, a couple of weeks and we can start shakedown cruises, but until then she remains on the hard. The house will be empty except for one side board and a dressing table, a charity collects them next week. New carpets come on Wednesday and hopefully it'll be let. Channel islands in May before leaving Falmouth in June for Portugal and Spain.
We intend to head for Cartagena for the winter, if we do , what notice for booking a winter berth should I give? Any other advice?
Dave
We're currently in Cartagena, lovely place. Plenty of room to overwinter.
Unless your a huge boat with special requirements, just chill.
Your never sure how far you will get, what wonders you see on your trip down that you will want to stop and linger over.
We left the Channel Islands two years ago and only arrived this winter.
To book We phoned two weeks before, plenty of room.
Chill out and enjoy, don't set time tables!

Garold

Visit site
Dave

Your plans look similar to ours this year.

Would you give some more details on your rough schedule for the next few months down to Portugal.

I'm wondering what sort of timing expectations others have for such a trip.

Garold

kunyang

Visit site
We're heading from Falmouth straight to Portugal / Spain. It'll be nice to start with a good sail. I know we miss out on some fantastic cruising areas, but we've time to go back that way. That may be in seven years or so and I won't be in any rush.
So hopefully the weather will be kind on 15th June for a few days.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We're heading from Falmouth straight to Portugal / Spain. It'll be nice to start with a good sail. I know we miss out on some fantastic cruising areas, but we've time to go back that way. That may be in seven years or so and I won't be in any rush.
So hopefully the weather will be kind on 15th June for a few days.

So many have said the say and never made it back for one reason or another and live to regreat it .
Have a good trip be safe and enjoy