Sinking in Needles Channel last Friday

G

Seems after only 1 post no one knows or cares what happened, well I can tell all!, this boat belongs to a past client of mine and is sometimes skippered by a good friend of mine, I spoke to him today, he said, have you heard which boat sank in the Solent?, well its a Hagg 36 on charter taking out divers to Hurst point, now this boat has a platform on the stern which lowers deep into the water and a large transom door, the deck height is only just above water level so you can guess the rest.
Seems they got in trouble sometime before reaching the dive sight and called the Yarmouth Lifeboat, upon his arrival, now this is what I have heard, the wash from the boat actually made the boat sink even more, the boat has a floatition bag in the bow, so by this time it was going down by the stern and settled on the bottom, damaging the platform and stern gear, it was towed and beached ashore near the scene and pumped out at lowtide by someone from Keyhaven, then towed to its home berth at Lymington, now awaiting a surveyor to asses the damage, as of yet there are no reasons as to how it took on so much water to go down so quickly, but to me after working on the boat last year, I can see why as there is no hull damage or holes anywhere.

Paul js.

burgundyben

Visit site
thanks Paul, I had wondered, one of the Fairey boats had to get beached at hurst last year, I heard that a p bracket broke and and the prop ripped a hole through the bottom.

Sounds like the bloke last week was lucky if the stern rested in the bottom, not much distance makes a big difference to depth in that area, he could have had it go down completely, unless floatatrion bags were big enough to keep it afloat.

Anyone know why we dont have floatation bags in our sinkpots? seems like a good idea to me..

add you sarcastic remark about someone elses tag line here.....