Silicone grease - most useful thing on a boat?

BlueChip

Active member
Joined
24 Aug 2004
Messages
4,849
Location
Bucks/Plymouth
Visit site
No skipper should be without a tube of silicone grease on board, its just the job for lubricating zips on oilies, lifejackets, sail covers, sail slides and shackles. Also its great for waterproofing electrical connectors, in fact its useful for just about everything that requires a long lasting waterproof non conductive grease.
In a swindlerie its up to a tenner for a small tube but I just bought got on eBay where the guy is still selling ten 100g tubes of grease delivered for less than £10 - thats enough to last several lifetimes.

I've got no connection with this seller other than as a very satisfied customer

See eBay item 220375878941
 

pvb

Well-known member
Joined
16 May 2001
Messages
45,603
Location
UK East Coast
Visit site
Silicone grease is an essential component of my tool kits - home and boat. I use tubs of grease from plumbers merchants.
 

Rabbie

New member
Joined
4 Jun 2001
Messages
3,895
Location
East Sussex
Visit site
I bought one of these on ebay about 7 years ago. I've used it for most things you mention + more and I still have half a tube! BTW - unless your name is Torvill or Dean - keep it away from your decks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
 

robbieg

Active member
Joined
25 Sep 2003
Messages
934
Location
Brixham/Midlands
Visit site
Agreed about the joys of silicone spray/grease-excellent stuff. Nearly as useful a kitchen paper which was another thing I didn't use a lot of until I got a boat....
 

sparkie

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2002
Messages
599
Location
New Quay
Visit site
Always a bit doubtful as to whether one should use this grease on or between electrical contacts, if it's non-conductive won't it interfere with the free passage of current??
 

DaveS

Well-known member
Joined
25 Aug 2004
Messages
5,484
Location
West Coast of Scotland
Visit site
I personally would be reluctant to use silicone grease anywhere near switch contacts. It can, indeed, cause problems if it gets into a switch and, just to add to the fun, the stuff has the ability to migrate across surfaces, so a dollop placed near a switch can work its way into it some time later. I much prefer good old vaseline which, provided it's reasonably protected from the weather, just doesn't cause problems.
 

sparkie

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2002
Messages
599
Location
New Quay
Visit site
You've just confirmed my thoughts, I've never actually used it on a switch for that reason. Didn't know about the migration, just used it to waterproof some electrical connectors on the outside so I hope it doesn't find its way inside...... I've used Vaseline for years, dating back to my old British motorbike years. As you say, very useful stuff.
 
Top