Short stainless sprit for code zero - help!

weaver_fish

Visit site
Hi folks. Looking to add a short sprit from my bow fitting projecting about 12" . It will take the tack of a 50sqm code zero on a 32' boat. Any ideas what diameter / thickness stainless tube would be up to the task?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a piece of 1 1/4" BSP sched 40 stainless tube that extends about 1 m for the tack of my cruising chute on my 50 ft yacht.

Pladdatoo

Visit site
Hi folks. Looking to add a short sprit from my bow fitting projecting about 12" . It will take the tack of a 50sqm code zero on a 32' boat. Any ideas what diameter / thickness stainless tube would be up to the task?

Looking to do similar. Wondering how to attach it at present?

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
I have same size 50 m2 cruising chute rather than code zero and was going to try the thicker section of an old windsurfer mast I have to see how it does. only looking for a couple of feet to clear the pulpit a bit.

Anyone else tried this?

DFL1010

Visit site
When you say 'code zero' do you mean a proper one (made of upwind cloth, often with a 2:1 halyard, usable up to 50ish deg TWA), or just a flat-cut assy kite?

If the former, don't underestimate the loads inherent in keeping the luff nice and straight. A bobstay may be needed, and the inboard end will do damage if it's not on something very solid.

lw395

Visit site
I have a piece of 1 1/4" BSP sched 40 stainless tube that extends about 1 m for the tack of my cruising chute on my 50 ft yacht.

Thanks for posting some actual useful data!
May I ask what the displacement of your yacht is?, whether it's deep keel or any other detail you'd care to share?

Oh, and does the sprit bend like my dinghy one does when you luff up a bit? :)

Thanks!

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have same size 50 m2 cruising chute rather than code zero and was going to try the thicker section of an old windsurfer mast I have to see how it does. only looking for a couple of feet to clear the pulpit a bit.

Anyone else tried this?

Suggest you get the thinner part of the mast & force it inside the thicker part for strength
You may even find you can get a third part inside that

pagoda

Visit site
When you say 'code zero' do you mean a proper one (made of upwind cloth, often with a 2:1 halyard, usable up to 50ish deg TWA), or just a flat-cut assy kite?

If the former, don't underestimate the loads inherent in keeping the luff nice and straight. A bobstay may be needed, and the inboard end will do damage if it's not on something very solid.

You need to think about levers.... If you have 50cm protruding beyond the support ring, you probably want 2 or 2.5m aft of that point to reduce the inboard load, mentioned above. I did something similar by modifying an old spinnaker pole. 75mm OD and 3mm walls. Cruising chute about 65m2 - deep reaching mainly, far too scary really much closer than a broad reach.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Thanks for posting some actual useful data!
May I ask what the displacement of your yacht is?, whether it's deep keel or any other detail you'd care to share?

Oh, and does the sprit bend like my dinghy one does when you luff up a bit? :)

Thanks!

OK this pic shows my bow sprit in its storage position just ahead of the ladder on the starboard side. The red line is the tack line running through the tube.

IMGP2641_zpste0ukuih.jpg

There are 2 tabs that fit over the centre rib of my bow fitting locked in place by cross drop nose pins. The for one is also the anchor chain locating pin.

My chute is quite small for the boat but I dont have the size at home.

My boat is 50 ft displacing 23 tons.

I can fit a bob stay if needed but have never needed up to now but I have only use the chute in very light winds up to now.

IMGP2644_zps8rkhcm3f.jpg

WEB0824_zpsc0b6cca3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ric

Visit site
I made one for my 31ft boat out of an old 25mm propshaft. It also serves as a boarding step when moored bow-to.View attachment 54343

I use it to fly a cruising chute. As somebody else pointed out, it would need to be tensioned with a stay in order to fly a Code-0.

rogerthebodger

Visit site

I found a pic of my bowsprit fitted ready for use.

IMGP2734_zpsw1rvk1vc.jpg