Shore Power

(195)

Visit site
At weekend a helpful fellow boater noticed my shore power lead trailing in the water under the pontoon to reach the nearest available socket. He mentioned that this would be 'creating a field' and would 'burn out the anodes' if left as it was. I was more concerned about trailing the cable across the pontoon and someone tripping over it and going in the water!
Can someone explain what he meant by this, and if in fact this is correct

Cheers

G

I can't answer your question about the field, but by wrapping the cable round a cleat at the point on you boat closest to the power bollard on the pontoon but leaving generous slack to allow for boat movement you should be able to stop it either trailing in the water or across the pontoon.

I can't imagine that having a mains voltage wire trailing in the water is a GOOD THING. Last night Russian friends were telling me over a vodka or two about a fishing technique commonly used. It involves sticking the ends of mains wires into a river. I was assured that this would stun fish over a wide radius which could then be collected further downstream. Apparently fishermen die from time to time when they forget to wear rubber wellies. A popular alternative is dynamite, a la Crocodile Dundee.

ArthurWood

Visit site
The only "field" in the situation described is a magnetic field, which would have no effect on your anodes. He's confusing it with leakage current due to poor grounding/earthing either on adjacent boats or in the marina itself.