"Ship's Wheel" certified fire extinguishers

Avocet

Visit site
I've just bought a couple of 1kg dry powder fire extinguishers to replace ones that were out of date. I got them on eBay and they were advertised as being "DNV ship's wheel certified" (as well as the usual BS EN3). They arrived today (date of manufacture 07/18) but unlike the ones they replaced, there's no ship's wheel on them. Only the BS EN 3 (and a CE mark).

Should I be worried? Avocet has a tiller, so I won't ever have to worry about the wheel going on fire, but I fear there might be more to it than that...!

prv

Visit site
If you were a commercial ship then you should worry about failing your next class survey for not having the correctly approved kit.

Otherwise, I think you're safe :p

Pete

CLB

Visit site
I know the BSS is not relevant to the OP, but it is still a useful source of info on suitable specs for equipment etc. This is what they say about portable FE standards:

All fire extinguishers, regardless of their age and type, must be independently verified to a high standard of manufacturing quality and performance. They must all be marked with one or more of these certifying marks:

the BSI Kitemark
the British Approvals of Fire Equipment (BAFE) symbol
the Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS) symbol
the AFNOR 'NF' shield
the Loss Prevention Certification Board (LPCB)
the APRAGAZ certification mark only when accompanied by the underlying 'B' denoting the BELAC accreditation
or other accredited certifying body's mark to EN3

Rum Run

Visit site
Even working on the basis that the extinguishers are fine in themselves, you have still been turned over by the seller.
If you buy something on the basis that it has "Whatever" marking on it because the seller advertises that it does, then it transpires that it does not have that marking on it, then the seller has sold you something that is "not as described" in eBay terms and you can get redress from the seller directly or from eBay who will get it for you.
To those who say "you get what you pay for, don't be so tight" I say that I paid for the thing described, not the thing they think they can get away with selling.
As someone who manufactures and sells things in the UK and who is obligated to stand up to my claims about products, I take exception to organisations or individuals who do not. :mad:

Avocet

Visit site
Thanks all,

Well, having been in touch with both the eBay seller and the manufacturer, I'm still not sure exactly what the differences are! The seller seems to be a genuine chap who has admitted his error. He just cut-and-pasted the description from the manufacturer's website. The manufacturer, however, has two practically identical-looking products, both of which have the same model number, but one has a "B" suffix. The one with the "B" suffix is a "budget" version and doesn't have the ship's wheel certification. It's the one without the B that I needed.

The seller is getting the two that he supplied picked up and will drop off a couple of the correct ones. I've agreed to meet him half way on the price difference between the two (which is only about a fiver).

As to what the differences are, I'm still none the wiser, but I think the ship's wheel certified one has some brass parts in the firing mechanism that are plastic in the budget model.