Shetland Family 4 cabin drain hole blocked (and foam in there?)

dconnx

Visit site
Hi all,

I've got an early Shetland family 4 (curved single piece windshield) and it's currently in a sea harbour marina (maybe it's better as a river boat but I live by the sea),

The cabin drain hole, which I think should be a pipe going to the starboard side drain hole, is blocked. Actually more than blocked I can stick my
finger in the hole and feel foam and no evidence of a pipe in there at all.

This makes me a bit concerned that the foam down there might be waterlogged - I've had the boat out of water for the last couple of years
until last month but of course I'm sure it's picked up a load of rain (there is a canopy over the cockpit but I'd say water is getting in everywhere all the same).

Are there any other Shetland boat owners out there that know anything about this drain hole and the pipe or whatever and how it should
work or how it can be fixed? I've been thinking about taking an angle grinder to the floor around the drain hole to get a better look but
I've found messages on this forum talking about Shetlands and their various problems so I'm asking here for advice before I "go at it" :)

Thanks very much for any info,

Derek