Sharpness and Gloucester

LizzyD

Visit site
Does anyone know if it's possible to get to Gloucester Docks in a boat with masts?

I was looking on Google Earth which was obviously photographed on THE day of sunshine last year, since they now have a 2007 version. I followed the route from Sharpness up to Gloucester and it looks as though every bridge swings open, but I don't know for sure.

Bev and I were toying with making it a long-weekend cruising destination to add to our sailing CV. Never done Sharpness before as I'm frightened of the bit from the SSC onwards. We usually do a hard right into Bristol or Portishead.

Any passage planning suggestions gratefully received, ad if we do it, I'll give a debrief here on the forum on our return.

Hope everyone's OK. I haven't been on here for a while. Just dusting off the keyboard for a contribution.

Take care all,

Lizzy D

graham

Visit site
Hi Mike You can .There are some swingbridges to go under but no problems. There is an organised cruise coming up this Easter run by Portishead Cruising club I think.

The passage up isnt difficult in good visibility there are lots of leading marks and buoys.

Timing is crucial ,with your boat I would leave Portishead about 2.5 hours before HW Avonmouth. You may still need to slow down as to not arrive too early.

Sharpness.jpg
This is the large swingbridge between Sharpness Dock and the canal system after you pass through this Sharpness Marina is on thre left or straight on for Gloucester under smaller swing bridges. I think the canal bridge keepers only work days so you may have to wait overnight at Sharpness.

Sneds

Visit site
We to would like to go "up" to Gloucester, would rather go in company the first time so the "well bouyed channel" can be pointed out to me.
I'm not a member of PCC do you think they'll notice a blue and white boat with no mast following on behind? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

johnchampion

www.Boatshedbristol.com
What a strange sort of boat it must be not to have a mast. Never mind, perhaps it will grow one as it gets older.
If you are interested in the PCC cruise to Gloucester the best bet is probably to contact John Filer - you can find him through the piece about the cruise on the PCC web site. Make contact sooner rather than later as there are things which need to be booked.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I would'nt call it "well bouyed" last time I went up, umm 8 years ago?? There was a 6" square black mark on the bridge, then a white cottage if I remember right. None of your red and green buoys. THey seem to have a mind of there own.!!

Elza_Skip

Visit site
There are a variety of nav marks, with cardinals and lateral marks near the bridges, plus some leading lines.

The route is quite twisty and not obvious until you follow it on a chart with a pilot book and the currents under the old bridge are fierce.

You have to arrive at Sharpness just before HW and book a lock with them in advance. they will tell you if there is any commercial vessels going in as the generally get them into the lock first and you tie up to them.

The most alarming thing for me last Easter when we went up was the the depth sounder could not penetrate the murky water and insisted there was only 2M of water when there was a 13M tide and I was mid channel- I had to keep checking my position to the marks and the GPS.

LizzyD

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I've just had a committee meeting with Bev and we may take advantage of the Portishead crew going up there this Easter if the weather's not too bad.

I'm quite excited now. It's moments like this that make the awful weather we're having more bearable. We may take Bev's niece Jess along (who will probably want to bring her joined-at-the-hip school mate along too) as well as the dog. Been a while since I've gone out with such a full boat.

Thanks again everyone.

Mike

john_filer

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
Hi,

I organise PCC's cruise in company to Gloucester each Easter.

We are very happy for non club boats to join us.

I'm in the process of getting some more details together and will be posting it up on the PCC website www.portisheadcruisingclub.org.uk when it is ready.

I would stipulate however that you are responsible for your own navigation. Virtually of the navigation above the shoots is undertaken on transits. Some of the channels are narrow and the tide sets across them, so if you just aim at the boat in front of you, you can be pushed outside the channel.
For the time being there are some good pilotage notes for small craft on the http://www.gloucesterharbourtrustees.org.uk/ website. See the 'Marine Safety' and 'Safety Guidance' sections.

The entrance to Sharpness dock is between two lattice work piers through which the tide flows. Subsequently you have to ferry glide on the way in.

The Portishead Cruising Club is open every Wednesday evening from 20:00 there is a wealth of experience and you will always find someone willing to offer advice. We always welcome visitors.

If you sign up to the organised cruise in company you can take advantage of the discount offered to our members. This year the cost of the lock fees and BW license for the four days over Easter is £23 per boat to participants.

graham

Visit site
Theres an article about pilotage up to Sharpness in the latest CBYC news letter magazinewritten by John and Margaret hart.

If anyone wants I will try to scan and email it to them.