SH downwing sailing questions from relative novice

jac

Visit site
No mention yet of AP.

It won't generally do very well downwind to trust alone butr if gybing then use it.

Steer about 10-20 degrees off dead Dw. Engage AP.
Harden in Mainsheet
using AP - alter course enough to gybe the main.
Gybe the Genoa
come back up 10- 20 degrees to a broadish reach under AP.
Ease Mainsheet
Back on course - AP off.

That way - you only have the AP on when the Main is strapped in so even if it gets it wrong the gybe won't hurt.

As for running with Genny only - makes sense.

dunedin

Visit site
Genoa only sailing is a great option in many circumstances - downwind it is a very stable and safe approach, with no boom to worry about - and often loose very little in boat speed.

We also sail upwind sometimes with jib only - works fine in our boat.

The loss of this option is one reason we would not get a boat with a tiny self tacker job, as nett they are actually more work

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I am pretty much a novice at this poling out having only done it twice. In my reading there are obviously a few ways to do it but one method with three lines to the end of the pole allows you to furl the genoa and leave the pole up as long as you like, so furling is as quick as normal. As long as you know which tack you are going to want the pole on you can rig it as early as you like.
Ok if pole is fwd of the lower shroud, with my genoa it isn't.

HenryEDM

Visit site
What sort of boat are you sailing? As many have already said boats like mine that have big overlapping genoas can easily hit hull speed with that one sail in any decent breeze. My genoa is twice the size of the main and if i have the main up with the genoa the boat will actually be slower running deep unless the genoa is poled out to windward because of the blanketing effect. Poling out sails is a pain when single handed and could be potentially dangerous in crowded waters depending on the set up. Sounds like you were doing what countless fully crewed boats round here do on many occasions.

chubby

www.flickr.com
Having sailed back downwind from Studland on Thursday and Lymington today in quite a brisk breeze today, SH, I found genoa only much more relaxing for little drop in boat speed for all the fuss of poling out goosewinging etc when SH, you did just the right thing and no shame in briefly using the engine to help with manoeuvres, not all the time but as an occasional option if things are tricky, what works safely for you is fine
Genoa-only can often make a relaxing singlehanded sail out of what would have been an anxious one. The option to roll-away the genoa and stop the boat in seconds, is fantastic.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
It all depence on the boat design. I have a very full big genoa which is great for downwing and I can go faster with a genoa only than both main and genoa together. There is no right and wrong; if you remain safe and have fun, then you can carry on improving and experimenting.

Robin

Visit site
Back when we had a W33 ketch we eventually learned it was quicker downwind under mizzen and genoa rather than main and genoa because the main blanketed the genoa much more than the smaller mizzen. it was also quite quick and very easy on the crew to go upwind with genoa an mizzen and no main in any breeze. later when we had a sun legende 41 with very large genoa and a tall rig fb main we also discovered the ease of sailing downwind under genoa alone, indeed we made several Cross Channel trips like that in strong winds, wouldn't have had it any other way really. our record boatspeed in the Sun Legende was over 21knots, achieved on a wild surf in the swash Channel by bar Buoy, entering Poole in a SE F6-7 with just half the roller genoa in use and no main. where we live now lots of boats sail by our condo on the ICW with genoa only, some with their engines on too ( but Septics often do that)