Sextants

Neeves

Visit site
Browsing through ebay trying to gauge the value of sextants as I have one I might sell, I find that almost all listed are from India.
Is there a suggestion of counterfeiting?
India (and maybe Pakistan) followed by Turkey are the ship breaking centres internationally. Ships are driven onto a beach and then winched a bit higher and then taken apart. Everything has value.

I visited one such beach not far from Bombay and just inland from the beach was the worker's village. The village was full of retail outlets selling shower stalls, ladders, carpets, dining room furniture, life jackets

I assume the sextants, compasses find a home in a 'retail' outlet and you have found one of them.

Jonathan

KAM

Visit site
95% of sextants on eBay are reproductions. It's relatively easy to tell the difference. I've got quite a large collection of genuine ones if you PM I could give you an opinion.

neil_s

Visit site
I bought a sextant on e-bay from India - I ended up paying too much because I forgot about the import duty but it has turned out to be a good instrument.

OCuea

Visit site
I have two and have never used them in anger. Not nice alloy ones, but the better plastic ones. I must have a clear out.