Sew Machine Type? ZigZag or Straight?

Tim Good

Visit site
I'm looking to buy a reconditioned semi industrial sewing machine to do bits and bobs.

I've noticed that most do straight line stitches but some are designed to do zig-zag stitches also. I know all the modern light-duty ones do various stitch shapes but only some of the older heady duty ones do zig zag.

The question is... for general working of thicker materials like canvas and some sails, will I benefit from the zigzag option or will I be fine with straight lines?

I'm not planning on making sails here, just repairs, boom tents, covers etc.

Thoughts?

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
If you can, get one that will do zig-zag as well as straight stitches. The zig-zag stitch is stronger for sail repairs and allows some stretch of the fabric

dovekie

Visit site
I agree with #2. Boom tents, covers etc you will be fine with straight stitch only, but zig-zag is certainly handy if you can get it, and essential if you are working with sails.

You may already know more than me about industrial sewing machines, in which case apologies. But there seem to be many many types. I think they are all built for continuous fast running (i.e. productivity), rather than necessarily stitching very heavy materials. And the only one I have had personal use of was very very fast, despite my gearing it to slow it down. I guess professional users are much quicker and more skilled than I. Try before you buy would be wise.

Poignard

Visit site
Zig Zag is essential.

I am reliably informed by our sewing machine engineer that this is the Dogs:

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/201/

Straight stitch - you will need to locate the Zig Zag attachment separately.

Much as I hate to disagree with you (he lied), I have an old hand-cranked Singer 99K and when I approached that company (singersewinginfo.co.uk) about buying a zig-zag attachment for it, the lady who runs the firm (Judy) told me she didn't think the attachment would cope with sewing 4 layers of acrylic canvas.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Get an old singer or Jones which have all metal gears and can punch through multi layers of canvas with a proper jeans needle. They're regularly on ebay for 50quid. Some say a walking foot is worth having. Unless you're going into mass production you don't need an industrial machine.

doug748

Visit site

Looks a nice machine but a bit expensive, and if you do a Google you find that some folk moan about getting larger needles, etc.

A few people here say they have had good value form these people:

http://www.ace-apparelcraftequipment.co.uk/

Their, heavy duty, secondhand prices will give you an idea of what you can buy for well under £100. Some of them are straight stitch and I agree with the others, you would be better to get a machine with zig zag.

Most, older heavy (literally heavy - metal cast body) machines will cope with hard work.

PS

The site above is a bit odd. You need to click on the area that says: "Part Exchanges Welcome"

Last edited:

chinita

Visit site
Much as I hate to disagree with you (he lied), I have an old hand-cranked Singer 99K and when I approached that company (singersewinginfo.co.uk) about buying a zig-zag attachment for it, the lady who runs the firm (Judy) told me she didn't think the attachment would cope with sewing 4 layers of acrylic canvas.

So she sold you a new one!? :)

Bodach na mara

Visit site
The advice from Parsifal is correct in my experience. We tried a Singer zig-zag attachnemt and it was hard to use and ueless except when doing a hem, ie a turned over fold at the edge. It worked by moving the workpiece from side to side and even if the two bits were tack stitched the resulting movement made for an unsatisfactory seam.

TeamSpirit

Visit site
Zig Zag for sails requires very different machine to that required for multiple layers of canvas / acrylic. You can use domestic machines for sails but managing the fabric can be a challenge to accommodate the movement. Right needles for the right job essential.

William_H

Visit site
Having done some sewing of sails witha domestic machine one of the problems seems to be an inadequate foot pressure. So as the needle is withdrawn the friction raises the cloth against the foot. Then of course you need the power to punch through the cloth in the first place. A larger arm length to give room for more cloth under the arm would be beneficial also. good luck olewill

savageseadog

Visit site
Zigzag stitch is an absolute must for sail repairs, a three step zigzag (or four point) even better. The wider the zigzag the better 12mm is probably the most you will get. There are only a few machines that measure up to the job and they are usually expensive.

Tim Good

Visit site
After reading various pros and cons of older machines (singers etc) and the news ones I'm considering this:

Seems to be able to do 6+ layers of denim with the benefit of modern bits and bobs. Reviews are positive and cost is low considering.

doug748

Visit site
I would be a bit wary.

It would may well do the sewing but a lightweight machine really needs to be screwed or clamped down, remember you will be shoving large wodges of cloth through it.

A free arm is handy but I can imagine those plastic bits falling off under the stress of action. That presser foot looks a but vulnerable as well. Denim may be the top end of domestic expectations but it is the bottom end of yours and denim actually sews very well. I would be happier if it was shown going through 3 layers of webbing and canvas.

I see the previous/similar? model got some stinking reviews on Amazon. To knock these out retail at c£150, there is not a lot of metal engineering in there. I think it may not be around, long term, under heavy use.