Serious warning

jamesjermain

Visit site
At the risk of being alarmist, I feel I must make this front line post in response to a post on the 'Over before it started' thread.

It suggested that sufferers of seasickness should take the Stugeron tablets available in Spain in 75mg size. I don't know whether this is the same strength as the British tablets, but if they are, they could be a serious health hazard to some people.

I take Stugeron and swear by it, but I find I only need half a tablet to cure seasickness. A whole tablet makes me dozey. My wife, who is not small, finds a quarter tablet sufficient. Some time ago, she was seriously ill when she was prescribed two tablets of Stugeron (under its generic name), every two hours when she suffered from inner ear problems. She couldn't stand and slept for 18 out of 24 hours for a week or so until the cause was established.

JJ

pvb

Visit site
Very good advice...

Anyone taking 75mg Stugeron without a prescription is asking for big trouble. These bigger doses are for people with circulatory problems, such as Reynaud's disease. The regular over-the-counter Stugeron sold in UK is only 15mg per tablet (it should have "S/15" stamped on it if you need to check). Like James' wife, my wife is very susceptible to Stugeron, with drowsiness lasting days.

G

Drowsiness

I'd agree.

I often go out with friends who are novices and prone to seasickness.

My first priority when preventing seasickness is to make sure they take no more than a single stugeron tablet, and preferably just a half tablet.

Otherwise, after lunch has been consumed, I invariably have to complete the afternoon element of the cruise as a singlehander. Those who've had a whole stugeron or more are assembled in a cosy phalanx around the saloon table. Snoring.

claymore

Visit site
Agreed

I took some for about 3 days whilst doing a race and didn't want to succumb to sickness - Felt bloody awful the whole time and started peeing sludge. Would have been better to just throw up and be done with it!

regards
Claymore

qsiv

Visit site
Re: Agreed

Just occaionally you can get that little bit more detail than you need!

Last summer I raced with a group of guys with good stomachs - even so a 'tactical yawn' was ocasionally requested

DavidTocher

Visit site
Stugeron is also sold in 25mg packages (a box of 60) which is half the price of the 15mg. You might have to bully the pharmacist to sell 'em to you.

We did have a problem when a friend took his normal 2 pill starter dose not realizing they were double strength and fell asleep later that day!

David

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Another thought

I've encouraged crews to take over the counter Stugeron, mainly cos I can't stand puke, and I have taken precautionary doses myself without drowsiness.

The only problem I've found happened in St. Peters Port. Having got the latest forecast I cancelled the trip at the last moment . Two of the crew found the day ashore quite interesting as they'd already taken their Stugeron. They acted like we'd been at sea for a few days, you know that kind of world in motion feeling, and if we sat down they dropped off. I told a GP friend about it and he thought that it was lucky they'd not gone driving about.

jonlaw

Visit site
STUGERON - a tablet for seasickness or sleeping ?
I am an ex submariner, it was common knowledge that if one couldn't sleep, ------take a couple of STUGERON.
It made the days of boredom pass a lot quicker !!!

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Re: side effects

Whether or not the effect on the urine was caused by Stugeron is not possible to determine here, but claymore raises an intersting and equally important point, that of not taking sufficient fluid when at sea. This is evidenced in the changes in the urine. Not taking fluid at sea to avoid tripping below etc is not uncommon. Better for the kidneys to keep taking fluids especially when taking any form of medication!

Peter Gibbs

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I'd also steer clear of alcohol in any form if you take Stugeron. My wife drunk a 25 cl bottle of lager a couple of hours after taking Stugeron and it wiped her out.

G

Yes be careful with Stugeron. Bought some from a smashing Portugese lady chemist on the tiny island off Madiera, memory loss can't remember the name right now, long walk to the town though (could be the Stugeron). They were unbelievably cheap and I suspected bigger than the ones I get in the UK. On reurning back to UK checked to find they were double dose, no wonder the watches seem short! My stupid fault for poor understanding of Porugese language, but such a charming pharmasist...

Ticker

Other threads that may be of interest