Serious question for the younger sailors. How do you maintain an income when sailing abroad?

andrewAB

Visit site
When in my 20s I cruised around Australia and Indonesia for 1 to 5 months per year by contract working or leave with pay.

Worked for me then at cheap ($5K), small (24 ft) and simple (photocopied charts, 3hp outboard etc). Similar would work in the med.

atol

Visit site
we always took crew who paid between $10-20 a day,it paid for 2 circumnavigations,enough to survive on as long as you did all your own maintainance and not much broke,got blown out or lost over the side.......

Kelpie

Visit site
we always took crew who paid between $10-20 a day,it paid for 2 circumnavigations,enough to survive on as long as you did all your own maintainance and not much broke,got blown out or lost over the side.......
Does that not mean that you need to have your boat coded and insured for commercial use, with appropriate qualifications?

Kelpie

Visit site
There are now dozens of young sailors funding their adventures through YouTube/Patreon.
I certainly could not be faffed with it. We plan to leave next year, on our around my 40th birthday as it happens, and have spent ten years working towards that goal. This has meant cutting back living expenses, e.g. one foreign holiday in that whole time, and that was for a friend's wedding.
I built a small second house (completely DIY to minimise cost) and we now rent that out. With that house plus our own house we should have enough income to cover what's left of our debts and still be able to live a reasonable life afloat.

The holy grail would be some sort of remote working, but it's hard to match the security of income from property.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
There are now dozens of young sailors funding their adventures through YouTube/Patreon.
I certainly could not be faffed with it. We plan to leave next year, on our around my 40th birthday as it happens, and have spent ten years working towards that goal. This has meant cutting back living expenses, e.g. one foreign holiday in that whole time, and that was for a friend's wedding.
I built a small second house (completely DIY to minimise cost) and we now rent that out. With that house plus our own house we should have enough income to cover what's left of our debts and still be able to live a reasonable life afloat.

The holy grail would be some sort of remote working, but it's hard to match the security of income from property.
The once I met who are trying to fund through their your tube videos are not doing as well as they expected , there the odd couple who have manage to fund there cruising in that way but many make very little , we have a couple not too far from us now .
Remote working isn't easy too , in most cases your need good internet service , my other half is a translator from Dutch and Germany to English but she ended up calling it a day many years back , too much hassle .
I do know one guy that makes a good go at remote work but he works five days a week and do very little cruising staying mostly in a marina ,

Seastoke

Visit site

How are you leaving if your boat is for sale.

nortada

Visit site
Over the years I have met many youngsters, who had plans to earn to fund their life afloat but found it was not that easy and are now back in the UK.

Yes, working from ‘home’ sounds attractive but when that home is afloat in a different regime (miles away from UK shores), many hitherto unknown problems can come into play. Not least communications, the law and attitudes in your host country. Local taxation being just one of them. Our future in the EU no longer being citizens or even residents will present further hurdles.

Local work is not easy to come by, if a market exists it is usually filled by local talent.

I fear in years to come it is get ever harder to eke out an existence afloat.

Wansworth

Visit site
I don’t know but there is probably more bureaucracy theses days on my limited world cruise I had a job teaching English in a state school in Spain,oI painted and sold watercolors and taught English privately and there where odd jobs this was in the early 1980s.

RJJ

Visit site
I can see a handful of YouTubers who produce good (entertaining, informative or both) material that justifies accepting ads or even paying for.

But not much, and my impression is that you need to generate professional content. So you need decent kit, you need to develop the skills, and then you need to devote time editing etc. None of that is trivial. I flirted with the idea then jacked it, and we haven't even set off yet...

Rappey

Visit site
I certainly could not be faffed with it
Yachting monthly stated that the sv delos youtube channel are earning $56,000 per month or $14000 per video per week. They have been sailing for the past 10 years.
They were putting between 80 to 90 man hrs per episode.

newtothis

Visit site
Yachting monthly stated that the sv delos youtube channel are earning $56,000 per month or $14000 per video per week. They have been sailing for the past 10 years.
$155 an hour is not better than my land-based day job, but I suspect that for every Delos there are 1,000 wanna-be Deloses making tuppence an hour. And when I go cruising, I don't want to be working a 45-hour week.
The kiddies on Sailing Kittiwake say they get a bit of copywriting/web dev work, but I've worked in those businesses and they pay ain't great. Which would explain why their calls for Patreons are getting more insistent.
Simple truth is that if there were a way to bring in a decent living by faffing off sailing, a lot more people would be doing it. Despite what YouTube would have you believe, the majority of cruisers have made their money the old-fashioned way are enjoying the fruits of their labours.

38mess

Visit site
The quality of the early videos compared with the latest ones show how much hard work they put in every week

GHA

Visit site
Im curious how you keep yourself over water, especially for longer trips.
Not really age dependent but a few really on a budget I've met in various anchorages have knuckled down back in the homeland or wherever and worked doing anything, stacking shelves, whatever, living very much on the cheap then when the kitty was a bit more healthy headed off again anchoring all the way :cool:

atol

Visit site
Does that not mean that you need to have your boat coded and insured for commercial use, with appropriate qualifications?
this was in the days before internet forums, epirbs and long distance sailing was still a safe sport for amateurs with a bit of common sense.......

Kelpie

Visit site
$155 an hour is not better than my land-based day job
Ok I'm too nosy to not ask: what are you doing just now that pays that sort of money? That's about ten times my hourly wage.

Despite what YouTube would have you believe, the majority of cruisers have made their money the old-fashioned way are enjoying the fruits of their labours.
It seems fairly self explanatory that YouTube has a disproportionate number of YouTubers on it.