semi flexible solar panels

rigpigpaul

Visit site
Hi All, I want to add at least two 100watt semi flexible solar panels fixed to the top of my bimini. I chose this type to save on weight so I do not have to build a frame.
What is the best way to fix them directly onto the bimini.
RPP

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Sunware put their semi flexible panels into a fabric frame which you can then attach to the Bimini/sprayhood with Tenac fasteners (https://www.marlec.co.uk/product/sunware-textile-solar-panels/). You could do the same with your panels, making simple fabric frames. Otherwise, you could fix canvas tags to the fixing holes with either Tenax or turnbuckle fasteners - should be ok is all but a very high wind.
Or you could use fastenings bolted through the canvas to the Bimini frame: I’ve done that with a rigid panel on our Bimini.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We bought one black GRP backed semi-flexible as it sounded a better bet than the metal backed ones. It failed within 5 weeks. Lensun were very good and sent one to S. of France even though we'd bought through a dealer.

I sent pictures of our installation on the bimini and they said it was fine. However, output dropped after 1 year. I found out later that they had added smallish text to their adverts stating that convex install was OK but concave shape would cause micro-fractures after a while. Main symptom was a huge drop off in output.

We still have the 100W panel and it actually seems to work when held in a fixed convex shape but we no longer use it. It seems reasonable that a concave shape will compress the relatively brittle cells and any flexing will cause cracks.

Watch for any sag when mounting panels on a bimini. Probably a good thing to avoid.

nickf

Visit site
We bought one black GRP backed semi-flexible as it sounded a better bet than the metal backed ones. It failed within 5 weeks. Lensun were very good and sent one to S. of France even though we'd bought through a dealer.

I sent pictures of our installation on the bimini and they said it was fine. However, output dropped after 1 year. I found out later that they had added smallish text to their adverts stating that convex install was OK but concave shape would cause micro-fractures after a while. Main symptom was a huge drop off in output.

We still have the 100W panel and it actually seems to work when held in a fixed convex shape but we no longer use it. It seems reasonable that a concave shape will compress the relatively brittle cells and any flexing will cause cracks.

Watch for any sag when mounting panels on a bimini. Probably a good thing to avoid.

Sorry to hear your problems.
I have a 60 and 80 watt Lensun semi flexibe panels ( GRP backed) now in their 3rd season of use with no drop off in performance. They are mounted on a bimini with a slight concave profile along their lateral axis. Given the cost of aprox £250 delivered to Greece I am more than happy even if they were to fail tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Sorry to hear your problems.
I have a 60 and 80 watt Lensun semi flexibe panels ( GRP backed) now in their 3rd season of use with no drop off in performance. They are mounted on a bimini with a slight concave profile along their lateral axis. Given the cost of aprox £250 delivered to Greece I am more than happy even if they were to fail tomorrow.

100W panel might just have been too long and sagged past a critical point. Shorter 60W & 80W probably more robust in that respect. Glad they work for your boat.

Happy with 2X200W rigid panels now, approx. 90 euro each incl. delivery. But arch cost 500 euro so had to factor that in as well.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Not sure what to do now , thanks Mike :)
We have two 150 panels and for most of the years there fine but as you know Mike when most people are tucked up on their winter marina we still out there on the hook and that's when we have a small problem getting enough out of the panel , so we was thinking about putting a couple of these metal back one on top of the Bimini but now I read what you wrote , not sure I going to .

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Not sure what to do now , thanks Mike :)
We have two 150 panels and for most of the years there fine but as you know Mike when most people are tucked up on their winter marina we still out there on the hook and that's when we have a small problem getting enough out of the panel , so we was thinking about putting a couple of these metal back one on top of the Bimini but now I read what you won't , not sure I going to .

Vic, I think that the metal backed ones might be slightly more flexible. I went for GRP ones because they seemed less likely to delaminate at the edges (might not be the case though). I've seen pictures of metal backed ones bent a fair bit in both directions. Could just be false advertising of course.

I read a review somewhere on GRP backed one where the guy tested it to destruction by bending it into a fairly shallow concave shape. Didn't spot that before buying ours.