Semco Teak Sealer on Iroko?

Tim Good

Visit site
So today we moored up next to a boat with what looked like brand new teak decks. I asked him if he just had them done and he said "oh no these are 16 years old, I just use Semco Teak sealer every year and it keeps them looking like freshly sanded teak"

I was quite impressed and I've been struggling with my iroko toe rails for some time now. Tried varnish, woodskin and Bonda marine Sealer and all add a skin which flakes and doesn't look good after 6 months.

Does anyone else use this Semco product and could say if it would work to keep iroko looking like it does when freshly sanded?

Here's a pic of his deck:

E4B32AA3-F47A-4799-A2AB-04D435C9A832.jpeg

Dawnrazor

Visit site
Yes, i use it. I've used the standard uncoloured version and have recently tried a tinted one which i'm less keen on.

All i do is clean the Teak with the Wessex Chemicals system beforehand, let it dry naturally and then apply Semco teak sealer with a sponge brush, wiping away any excess. It looks good at first, but i find it needs to be done more frequently than yearly - Mine was done 2-3 times last year as the benefit seems to dissipate quickly.

I'm not sure i'll continue using it, my deck is getting a bit tired and i'm probably going to replace it with Dek-King.

No idea what it'll be like on Iroko however. I've used it on Meranti with similar results to Teak.

MikeBz

Visit site
Our previous boat had laid Iroko decks which had been treated with Semco from new. It's very good, very expensive, and needs doing several times a year (quick and easy though).

Benny257

Visit site
It's very good stuff but mine did need redoing after about 6 months. Expensive if you have large areas to do. Be sure to wipe up any spills immediately as it dries / bonds in seconds and getting off GRP can be very difficult.