Selling VAT exempt 1979 yacht in Europe

kunyang

Visit site
I am thinking of selling my yacht in Italy, where I'm currently berthed. She is TAX exempt pre 1985 and I have had no problems in Europe. What can I advise any possible new owners? Is it still VAT exempt if sold outside the UK? Any advise appreciated. Thanks.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
If I were a prospective purchaser I'd want to see some official documentation proving that she is VAT exempt.

When I recently registered my 1977 built boat a picture of the builders plaque (with year and build number) was accepted by Belgian equivalent of HMRC.

Some info more relevant for UK owners: Yacht VAT Exempt on Age - Sarnia Yachts

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
The T2L demanded by Portugal and Croatia sometimes, is actually designed to say goods qualify for free movement within the customs area/EU. Presumably, a pre-85 tax exempt boat also qualifies for free movement so, would VAT office issue one?

T2L | Boating Abroad | Knowledge & Advice | RYA - Royal Yachting Association

How to obtain a retrospective T2L from HMRC

In order to apply retrospectively for a T2L the owner must complete a C88 (Status) form and send it with supporting evidence to HMRC. According to the information given to the RYA by HMRC, the original form (not a copy or a print out from the HMRC website) must be completed and sent to HMRC.

Assuming your application for a T2L is accepted, the form you send in is endorsed by HMRC and returned to you as your T2L.

HMRC info: UK Trade Tariff: other documents and procedures

steve yates

Visit site
Is this vat presumed paid status on yachts built before 85 going to continue after brexit? Or will they regard any uk yacht entering eu waters to be a new import after 6 months there?

If they decide they want the vat , would it be the vat on your purchase price? or the vat on the original sales price of the boat back in 1976?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Is this vat presumed paid status on yachts built before 85 going to continue after brexit? Or will they regard any uk yacht entering eu waters to be a new import after 6 months there?

If they decide they want the vat , would it be the vat on your purchase price? or the vat on the original sales price of the boat back in 1976?

This is not just a UK rule, but applicable in EU countries as well.
So don't see why this would no longer be applicable to UK yachts after Brexit.