Selling and upgrading

MarkR

Visit site
Hi,

About to sell/upgrade and would appreciate some advice.

1. Intend bringing the boat to South Coast (from Forth) to gain access to a bigger market for more rapid/rewarding sale: Does this make sense?

2. Broker recommendations: Who has had good/bad experience where on South Coast. Or, should I forget the broker and try private sale?

3. Broker premiums: What is typical? (I have been quoted 8% +VAT).

4. New boat: Intend buying in Western Med for use by Easter. Does separate broker based buying/selling make sense?

BTW, current boat is 1999 Oceanis 311 Clipper.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Stingo

Visit site
Would suggest using the same broker for buying and selling because you could then negotiate the sales commission.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> - now showing at a computer near you

jimi

Visit site
What kind of boat are you thinking of getting? I would think that whilst there is a bigger market in the south there's also greater supply and thus greater competition. If you used a national agency like Ancasta I'd think you'd get national coverage anyway?

jfm

Visit site
8% tops

A broker (handle = russell or something) was on Mobochat a few weeks ago and he sed he never gets the full 8%, it's always haggled down substantially. I think he was ex UK, now in Palma

MarkR

Visit site
Jimi,

My intention is to sell in the bug market place (i.e. south coast) as when I bought two years ago there was a significant saving for me to buy up here in Scotland.

The new boat will be in the Med, and rather than buy here and sail it there my intention was to buy in situ, i.e. Spain/France. New boat 38~42ft, Cat A, better ballast ratio characteristics than current one. Thinking Maxi/Hanse/H-R as opposed to BenBavJen as this fits more with the longer term plan for farther afield.

Mark

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
I used Roger Moon, SDMarine, at Hamble Point to sell my old boat recently. He charges 7% plus VAT. He was recommended to me as the man who sells boats! He was very effective, sold the boat quickly and did every thing he said he would, plus a bit more. If you pick the wrong guy the boat will be hanging around for months and the extra cost of keeping it ashore will far outweigh any reduction in brokerage

Chris Stannard

Visit site
I am completing on the purchase of my new yacht this week after a 1 year search and have spent many week-ends looking around the Solent.

> 1. Intend bringing the boat to South Coast (from Forth) to
> gain access to a bigger market

Absolutely the right thing to do, but get moving now otherwise you will miss the spring market activity.

> 2. Broker recommendations:

I like Kings in Southampton but for your type of yacht you need to be parked on the walk around gantries at Hamble Point. Logically your yacht would fit on the Michael Schmidt row but the staff at that business are so sour faced and aloof they are a handicap to the sales process. The proprietor at SD is far more engaging and down to earth, the only issue is that some of the problem yachts he handles could have a negative effect on your boat.

> Broker premiums:

Your yacht is a sellable commodity and should give the broker the prospect of a quick turn-around. Aim for 6 or 7%.

> 4. New boat: Intend buying in Western Med for use by Easter.

This is not realistic, it can take 6 months to get a good price for your yacht and longer to find a good second hand yacht. You need to view many of the same design before you can spot a turkey unless you are considering nearly new again.

> Does separate broker based buying/selling make sense?

Yes. Why restrict yourself, the negotiation range on purchase price can be +20% so the savings on a special sell/buy deal will be relatively small compared to opportunities in the whole market place. If buying via the same broker in all likelihood you would indirectly end up paying for some two-tier inter broker split commission. Get the cash in the bank and then go and purchase your next yacht from a position of strength.