selling a boat in UK

AndrewJ

Visit site
If I sailed my boat to the UK (us made) and decided to sell it there, who is responsible for VAT and what "certifications" would need to be done before I could sell the boat?

thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>The only easy day was yesterday

dickh

Visit site
Depends - If you keep it in the UK for more than 6 months then you will be the 'Importer' and will get stung for VAT and you will have to get CE certification. Alternatively sell as soon as you get here and then the new owner will have to pay VAT and get CE certified(but if they know the rules, you obviously won't get a good price) If your boat is marketed in the European Union then you will probably be able to to get a a CE certificate from the builder, although it may have to have bits added to fully comply if it was originally made for the US market. Thats how I understand it - others may be able to add more details.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

AndrewB

Visit site
You cannot sell it unless import duty and VAT have been paid. That is part of the terms of temporary importation relief, which allows visitors to import yachts tax free for a limited period (currently 18 months) for their own use only. See paragraph 5.4 of this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/8.htm> CUSTOMS ADVICE </A>.

The yacht will also have to prove RCD compliance and be CE plated before it can be sold, unless it is exempt. The two exemptions which most usually apply are for yachts (i) built in the EU prior to June 1998, or (ii) which have ever been kept in the EU prior to that date. Proof of the latter is required. For a more detailed summary of the rules, see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rya.org.uk/Technical/faqs.asp?contentId=3258913>HERE</A>.

I believe exemptions exist if you were selling it for immediate re-export outside the EU, but you'd need to check with Customs.

The above assumes you are either not an EU national or not EU resident. If you are a resident EU national, you are ineligible for temporary importation relief and the above would apply immediately you bring it in, whether or not you sell.