See a foreign ship and worry

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
You may have heard in the news that a cruise ship was detained in Dover on 3 July 2001. She was named as Ocean Glory 1 but she was previouly called Aegean Spirit and along with 600 poor souls I spent the Xmas Cruise to Hell on her. The MCGA recorded 35 separate deficiencies and commented 'This vessel vessel is in a poor state.' Following our unforgettable trip I contacted the MCGA and they could not inspect the vessel (term used loosely) until it came into UK Port. They did ask the Spanish authorities to inspect which they did on 5 Jan 2001 at La Palmas and their inspection did not find any deficiencies serious enough to warrent detention. She was only released from detention from Lisbon on 29 June 2001. She was also issued with The International Safety Document and Safety Management Certificate by her flag state Panama on 15 June 2001. How come she could pass so many 'inspections' or is it drinks in the captains cabin?
Well done the MCGA.
I makes you worry when you see that large steel hulk appearing on your stern with a funny flag how safe you are. They should all have painted on them "Sailor Beware".

BrianJ

Visit site
We had a good one just a few days ago in Port Phillip Bay (Melbourne OZ) A French Captain 4 or 5 times over the legal drinking limit ran aground in the Bay.. He got a heavy fine but was too drunk to know what was happening..so I agree get out of their blody way.
brianj

G

there's a whole load of well documented similar anecdotes (with a serious twist) on the MCA's website, which "names and shames" some very well known characters, including one Grant Dalton -

"The CLUB MED was sailing at speeds of up to 21.5 knots in the dark and passed 13 ships including 2 passenger ferries and had close quarters situations with a number of these ships and passed only 1 cable away from a cargo ship carrying dangerous goods and marine pollutants."

There's plenty more like that, and lots of piccies of crunched up ships. Some of it very sobering.

http://www.mcagency.org.uk/news/enforcement/2000.htm

also 1999 archive (and 2001)

Happy reading, and don't have nightmares!

G

During 17yrs at sea on Merchants ..... I spent 12 of them on Foreign Flag of Convenience .... Liberians, Panamanian, Singapore etc.
I can honestly say that the worst ships on average were the British, old tired and poorly maintained, not because the crews were unwilling, but because the average British Merchant Marine Co. wouldn't spend any money on them / replace the rubbish vessels. THIS includes well-known Co's.

The other point that is so often ignored, is that the law of averages dictates that more vessels will fall foul of accidents / inspections etc. when they are the most numerous - British vessels are a rarity nowadays. Remember that a lot of the Flag of Convenience boats are actually former UK flagged - still with same operators / UK Co's behind them AND still having a few UK Captains lording over some very good foreign officers.

One vessel I sailed on, my wife and I were the only Brits out of 14 different nationalities in a crew of 28 ..... but you know something, they all worked a darn sight harder and better than many a Brit I sailed with. BUT yes there are some absolute idiots out there and on some pretty awful hulks, British and Foreign.

Sorry, I'm a true Brit, but consider the facts before you condemn out of hand ..... the media does that, but sensible people should look at it properly ......

If you doubt my words - I presently manage a World Leading Marine Inspection Co. ----- I get to see more ships / vessels inside and out than most of you and get to meet the crews etc.

Cheers
Nigel