Securing Calor gas cylinders

Danny Jo

Visit site
Freestyle has a cylinder locker under the helmsman's seat, situated immediately above the cockpit "drain" - a space about 50 mm high that runs the full width of the cockpit and allows water (and gas) to spill out over the stern. I store three 4.5 kg cylinders in the locker, and prevent them from moving about by jamming oil containers, antifreeze etc into any vacant space.

It has been suggested that this arrangement might not be adequate. I have done a search on "gas bottle" and found Vic's link to the Boat Safety Scheme guide . This contains the advice:

"Are all cylinders secured and stored upright with the valve at the top?

"The extent of any LPG cylinder movement must not cause any pulling of pipework or hose connections.

"Cylinders must be secured so that the possibility of cylinders damaging low-pressure regulators, pipework or other LPG system components is minimised.

"The support structures and fixings on transom-mounted LPG cylinder arrangements must be complete and free of signs of damage or deterioration.

"Cylinders must be secured in the upright position with the valve uppermost."

I can't find any specific advice about straps or other arrangements to secure the cylinders.

I would be most grateful for any advice or suggestions.

kengill

Visit site
Easy way is to have a shelf level with the top of the cylinders with three holes in it large enough to conveniently access the valve mounting but smaller than the diameter of the cylinders so they're an interference fit. have one end of the shelf hinged and the other lockable by a couple of padlocked bolts .
At the bottom where they sit down have a board with three large piercings in so that the base of the cylinders are prevented from moving
The cylinders will never move unless the padlocks are undone and the bolts undone but they will be fully secured up until that time
If you're lucky you can get the wood out of the skip and the bolts from the local hardware store fully galvanised for use on garden gates or chests.

Gee my 1000th post /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

fluffc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't find any specific advice about straps or other arrangements to secure the cylinders.

I would be most grateful for any advice or suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can use whatever you like to 'secure the cylinders'. IMHO it should be adequate to prevent movement of the cylinders under all sailing conditions. I believe there is a limit on the amount of movement - an inch or so - that is 'allowable'.

My own Gas locker containes other flammable liquids, like you, but the gas tanks are secured with rope.

When the CORGI inspector and BSS inspector have seen 'other items' stored in the Gas Locker, they always say nothing else should be in there. My response is well where else put flammable liquids - under my bunk? After an exchange of shoulder shrugging the stuff gets left alongside the gas tanks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Boathook

Visit site
Used scrap wood to make a shelf with holes, that takes the base of a 4.5kg calor bottle. A rope around the top is tightend through a cam cleat thing. A bit ott on a cat but at least they are secure. Never know, might roll through 360 degrees so at least I should, in theory, be able to boil a kettle.

sailorman

Visit site
[When the CORGI inspector and BSS inspector have seen 'other items' stored in the Gas Locker, they always say nothing else should be in there. My response is well where else put flammable liquids - under my bunk? After an exchange of shoulder shrugging the stuff gets left alongside the gas tanks. ]

we use the anchor locker for o/b fuel ect its also self draining

William_H

Visit site
A very easy securing for items like this where you might use a piece of rope can be acheived by using velcro (hook and pile) You need 2 pieces of webbing or folded and hemmed cloth as wide as you deem appropriate but at least 1 1/2 inches. Get a steel loop or make a square rectangle shape Overlapping on one side which is sewn on the end of one piece which is screwed to the inside of the locker.
The other strap is also screwed onto the inside of the locker but before that. Sew velcro one piece onto the end of the strap. Sew the other piece on the other side of the strap and further down from the end.
In use the strap is passed through the loop and then presses onto itself where its mate is sewn. Velcro can make a very strong hold if the pull is purely sideways and the loop makes a 2 to 1 tackle for extra tension.
For gas cylinders of course you would need a shaped block at the bottom to hold the bottom steady and perhaps another block to pull the top against. I think stabilty of the connection is most important.
olewill

rob2

Visit site
Caravan shops sell fitting kits to suit. There's a bracket for the floor to catch the rim and an arc with restraining strap to cradle it (horizontally).

P.S. sorry about the "sell" word...

A

angelsson

My gas locker has a false floor, about 2" deep with circular cutouts to loosely allow the base of the bottles to sit in them.
They never move or rattle.