Sealine S24 v S23 or 25

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I am now looking at a couple of Sealine S24's Each have the KAD 32 engine and are both around £20K asking. This is some £10K less than the S23's or 25's I had been previously looking at.

Is there much difference in the boats given that all I am looking at have the same KAD 32's

Dennis

[2068]

Visit site
I had an S24 a while back.
Good boats, but the S23/S25 is better because there is less of a “beak” and more hull length.

alt

Visit site
The S23 (and presumably) S25 is a feature-packed boat for it's size (Toilet / Hot Shower) / Hot Air / Galley / Coffin berth etc....

For her size, 'down below' is sizable, but the cockpit space up top is quite tight.

I found the S23 to be incredibly 'tippy' and the KAD32 didn't seem to produce enough power for the design / weight (KAD32 an excellent engine, BTW). I know plenty will defend her and won't deny the 'tippyness', but for me, it made me not want to own the boat, it was not fun to be at the helm.

Momac

Visit site
I am a little biased towards the more modern design of the S23 having owned one 6 years . However I suppose these boats are of a certain age such that condition is perhaps the important factor. A S24 in well presented condition or nicely upgraded with new upholstery and navigation equipment would not deter me.
This one , must be among the last made , looks quite nice............
https://www.boatshop24.co.uk/motorboat/sealine-s24/206016

QBhoy

Visit site
They will all be decent compared to the American equivelants, but when I had my old Sealine 218, I took a test in a S24...wasn’t impressed at all. Nice boat and good quality as usual, but was much less stable on the move compared to the older and smaller 218. Very easy to heel over with the slightest movement of weight. Especially on the plane. Was nothing like as spritley as the 218 either.
That was a 4.3 litre petrol. I would imagine the lesser powered diesel might be a poor performer and the noise with canopy up would be deafening ? Newer S23/25 likely better...but worth the extra money ? Depends on how long you keep it. S24 prices seem on the decline and are on the verge of getting old. I’m not sure they will age as well as the older sealines.

[2068]

Visit site
Both boats will hit 30kts with a KAD32. So not exactly a rocketship, but not a poor performer either.
They do need trim tabs if people move around the boat under way.
I never thought of my S24 as unduly noisy.

But I did enjoy only burning 20litres / hour at a fast cruise.

QBhoy

Visit site
Both boats will hit 30kts with a KAD32. So not exactly a rocketship, but not a poor performer either.

Haha. That would be an upside. Perhaps I’m being unfair. The newer diesels like the Kads do punch above their horsepower weight.
I remember thinking the difference in performance was very obvious between that and the 218. Also the hull shape very different. The 218 had a sharp deep v rising up and flattening out like gull wings at each side. The S24 seems to just rise uniformly from the V. Perhaps that’s why the sharp movement.

QBhoy

Visit site

20l and hour is great, but also shows how much Petrol engines have come along too. My current boat will cruise at 26/27 mph at 2400 rpm at 20l per hour....that’s from a V8 petrol. Diesel is ofcourse cheaper !

Greg2

Visit site
Funnily enough we have recently considered an S24 but for many of the reasons stated here, particularly tippyness, we concluded they are probably just too small for us (last boat was a 41 footer and I am well north of 6’ in height so that is a factor too).

Really did like the idea of only one engine and one outdrive to maintain and 20lph would be an absolute bonus! Maybe we should re-consider :)

[2068]

Visit site
S24 / S25 are fine for shorter coastal hops in good weather or longer runs on flatter water, but the sweet spot of small cruisers I think kicks in around the 29-30ft mark imho.
We went to all kinds of places on our S28 - a Fairline T29 or T30 has similar capabilities.
Headroom is a little greater, but the waterline length and extra beam make a massive difference.

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
S24 / S25 are fine for shorter coastal hops in good weather or longer runs on flatter water, but the sweet spot of small cruisers I think kicks in around the 29-30ft mark imho.
We went to all kinds of places on our S28 - a Fairline T29 or T30 has similar capabilities.
Headroom is a little greater, but the waterline length and extra beam make a massive difference.

The big issues for me is that once you get over 25 ish foot the following happens:

1) You can no longer trailer it (read bring it home for the winter and pay no fees to anyone)
2) You will generally now have 2 engines (Read double the cost in maintenance and fuel possibly)
3) It wont fit on my mooring that I pay just £95 per year

jcwads

Visit site
My last boat, a Montery 275 CR was 25ft excluding the swim platform. I took it to Dartmouth and Salcombe from the Hamble 2 years in a row, once in some nasty chop and it was fine.

Personally, if an S24 is what fits your needs, goes on a trailer and is within your costs then go for it! You will have all the benefits of a sports cruiser, can stay on it if you want and enjoy sitting in the cockpit over a beer or glass of wine.

[2068]

Visit site
S23/S25 - 2400kg
Monterey 275 - 3200kg
Sealine S28 - 4400kg

i.e. That Monterey 275 is actually quite a chunky boat for the size.

[2068]

Visit site
The big issues for me is that once you get over 25 ish foot the following happens:

1) You can no longer trailer it (read bring it home for the winter and pay no fees to anyone)
2) You will generally now have 2 engines (Read double the cost in maintenance and fuel possibly)
3) It wont fit on my mooring that I pay just £95 per year

All good points, if you want to still be a trailer boater.
S28 burns 40Litres/hr or thereabouts.
Maintenance costs aren't ridiculous if you roll your sleeves up.

Last edited:

CX54WEK

Visit site
We have had our S23 for ten years now. It is exactly the same as the S25 only the later S25's were fitted with the D3 rather then the KAD32. The earlier S25's still had the KAD32. Sealine just changed the model number part way through production.

Whilst the S24 is the same size boat the accomodation is a bit smaller as they have the beak at the bow and also a larger bathing platform. The platform on the S23 and S25 is a fold down one.

We have had ours out in some pretty poor conditions and it has handled them well enough. It will certainly take more then we would be willing to go out in.

We have found the KAD32 to only just be enough power for the boat when we are loaded up, have the dinghy and outboard and away for a couple of weeks on the boat. At that it takes a while to get onto the plane but once up is happy enough. With a light load the KAD32 is more then adequate and the boat jumps up onto the plane easily and quickly.

Servicing costs are not that expensive and the engine and drive are simple enough to work on your self if you have some basic knowledge. In the last ten years we have had very few problems with either the drive or the engine.

We had ours trailed for the first time last summer and plan to do the same again this summer. It is a tad on the heavy side when loaded up with gear that we need for a couple of weeks break.

We are both lucky that we are quite short but if you are anything around 6ft or over you might want to check that you can sleep on either the midships berth or the saloon conversion as they are not the biggest beds. Also headroom in the shower room is tight.

The S23/S25 is a good little boat and we have no plans to get rid of ours just yet.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
All good points, if you want to still be a trailer boater.
S28 burns 40Litres/hr or thereabouts.
Maintenance costs aren't ridiculous if you roll your sleeves up.

I do not strictly want to be a trailer boater with this one as I have many other boats for that. I just want to be able to trail it home for the winter so as not to pay fees. So

In the summer on my swing mooring Cost £95 all year
In the Winter tow home where space is free and I can work on it easily.

Diesel in cans (Colour to be decided :) )

I believe you can boat on a budget if you try hard enough

Dennis

BruceK

Visit site
From previous posts I think I have a gist of what you are after and a S23 with all its compromises will fit. What I am not so convinced about is once you have sampled cruising and over weekending that your priorities wont drastically change. Which is fine, but lets be honest, you dont sell to upgrade, you have more boats than you can shake a stick at!. My concern would be you'll end up with too much of a compromise for you to really enjoy her. So if you do plan to continue buy once and keep Id urge you to reconsider something in the 28 and above class

TheOrs

Visit site
I have a Fletcher 238 (similar to an S24 but bigger cockpit/smaller cabin).

I can't decide whether I want to trade up to something bigger or down to something smaller! The Fletcher is too small for anything more than long weekends and too big to fit on my drive. Part of me wants to be able to spend weeks on the boat and another part of me knows it is definitely easier, quicker and cheaper to work on the boat at home (and therefore keep it in top condition). Like you I do the majority of work myself in order to keep costs in check.

I agree with BruceK; you need to think very carefully about what you want this new boat for.