Seacracker 33

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
There's one for sale in this part of the world, and I could be interested.

Anybody on the form have any knowledge or experience of these boats?

All contributions grateully recieved.

Jim

NigeCh

Visit site
IMO, the only thing that is wrong with a Seacracker 33 is the aspect ratio of the rudder and the lack of NACA before the rudder post balancing. It's a two handed steer on the tiller in anything above F4. Apart from that they are nice seaworthy boats with a good interior layout. (Humperdinck's Seacracker URL below is very infomative.)

graham

Visit site
Re NACA?

Excuse my ignorance but what does NACA stand for ,from the text I assume its something to do with balanced rudders??

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Re: Re NACA?

NACA refers to the section (wingsection) of the foil. For example the section of your wing/keel/rudder blade may be NACA0012 or NACA0014 etc. (Millions of them)

Only reason I know this is that I once cast a lead keel for a yacht and all I had to work from was the NACA numbers and a pile of scrap lead!

Regds Nick

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather>http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather</A>

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
I have one. I like it. It is perhaps better known as the Trintella 2A - designed by Van der Stadt. It is sea kindly and solid. surprisingly fast. Some have gone round the world. They are not very roomy caravans and sit in rather than on the water so look much smaller than they are. They do benefit from early reefing buyt are fun for a little while to sail on their ear - but it doesnt make them go any faster. They are often home completed so finish standard veries. I've taken mine to Sweden and half way up Norway. I have confidence in them.

Visit site
I once made a slight criticism of the Seacracker design here at scuttlebutt and rubbed someone up to wrong way.

First let me say there are many endearing features particularly for someone who has developed an appreciation of traditional yachts. It is definitely a design for serious passage-making but there is one downside that is shared by a whole family of folkboat inspired yacht designs. The bow does not point up much.

This means in moderate waves the bow will tend to dig in, scoop up water and make the boat wet. Contessa’s are known for this.

Where do you indend to sail?

Rowana

Visit site
I will be sailing round the Moray Firth, possibly up to Orkney & Shetland, through the Caledonian canal to the western isles of Scotland. This will be my first boat (assuming that I do buy it) and my crew will be my Wife and younger daughter age 11. I will also be doing a fair bit of single-handing, I suspect.

Since the crew are novices, does this sound like the sort of boat I should be looking at?

Jim

Jeremy_W

Visit site
I've crewed a Seacracker in F8 round Lands End without a moment's apprehension. Given the type of sailing you're looking at, I'd say an excellent choice. This yacht will look after you.

Rowana

Visit site
Wayne,

It's the one for sale on the website - Samba.

That's how I found it - while browsing for something else.

This would be my first boat, and my crew of Wife and Daughter age 11, both novices. I would probably be doing a fair bit of single-handing as well, I suspect.

Do you think this would be a suitable boat for us? What are the good points, and what do you not like about yours? I've read the general stuff on the website, but any first-hand knowledge from your own perspective as an owner is what I would like to hear.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Hi Jim

I sail shorted handed - just my wife as crew, so you will find no problems with your family. I find the key to keep the main under control. Reef the main down early and keep the draught forward. This helps keep her flat and comfortable, as well as making the helm more neutral and easier on the weather helm. Most driving power comes from the foresail, so reefing the main doesn’t seem to make that much difference to overall performance. I have cruised at 6 knots with just a working jib up, in moderate wind, so she is quite easy to get moving without a lot up, even to windward.

Only got 2 issues -
1) Helm can become heavy (esp. weather helm) in a blow, but can be controlled as mentioned.
2) The Fin and Skeg tend to act more like a long keeler, which is not a bad thing for directional stability, but is a sod to steer in reverse!

Hope this helps, Jim, feel free to throw any questions at me - I'll try and answer.

Cheers

Wayne

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
I do tend to agree about a wet boat, in short seas.

I don't think the seacracker is as wet as the contessa and with the high cockpit coamings, it is not usually a problem. She does have a kindly sea motion in a short sea, with her 'V' shape and fine hull shape tends to cut through very well.

Wayne

G

Jim,

I'm biased in favour of Sacrackers, but then I own Sergeant Pepper! The web site does give the opinions but it's true - they are superbly seakindly boats.

Biggest Faults:

1. The short LWL means in a short choppy sea they come to a standstill in light airs.

2. Some tendancy to carry more weather helm than is fashionable these days BUT that was designed-in bt EG Van de Stadt on purpose.

3. Makes the owner want to keep lavishing new toys on her!

Major Strengths:

1. Will plough on at 8 knots downwind in an F9 under #4 Jib alone (see above reference to Lands End)!

2. EASY for my wife and I to manage with our 11 year old daughter.

3. During F9 (above) daughter laid in her bunk reading the latest Harry Potter book. Happy as a lark. Try that in a BenJenBav!

4. Ability to cope with BIG seas (25' +) ... no sweat ... just ask my wife or daughter about our trip back fom Ireland last Summer.

5. Style. Lots of Style. Everywhere we go people do praise her lines and remark on the classic look. Her bow rises up much more than on a Contessa 32, and the foredeck is appreciably wider. The deep gunnels are a nice touch too, and the cockpit combings have only let one wave over the side in three years / 3000 miles of sailing.

6. Excellent Class Association web site (Grin)

Anyhow, my phone number is on the association web site if you want to call for a chat sometime. You can email me at HJ@seacracker.org

Regards,

Humperdinck Jackman

Humperdinck

Email: HJ@Seacracker.org

G

Re: Seacracker 33 - FULL REVIEW

(Maybe this will be of interest)

A Review of the Seacracker 33 “Sergeant Pepper”

The Designer
Designed by E.G. van de Stadt (1910 - 1999), founder of the world renowned firm of Van de Stadt Sheepswerf N.V, of the Netherlands, the Seacracker 33 is also known as the Trintella IIa or the Tufglas 33. There were 12 hulls moulded as the Seacracker 33 and an unknown number as the Tufglas 33; the rest were Trintella's IIA's, for a total of 176 hulls produced overall. There is no difference whatsoever between a Seacracker and a Tufglas, other than the name! The difference between is Seacracker and A Trintella IIA is that the Trintella has a wooden coach roof.

E.G. Van de Stadt is one of the great names of European yacht design. His Valk, Trial, Zeevalk, Stormvogel and Pionier put him in the forefront of yacht design time and time again; ask any Dutchman who is the most famous yacht designer ever, and EG Van de Stadt is sure to be his answer!

As to the name, "Trintel" is a sandbank off the Enkhuizen (IJsselmeer) coastline of the Netherlands. "Trintella" was based upon that name. Incidentally, many people wonder why there are two similar names from the same designer, and the answer is easy: Trintel's are made of steel, and Trintella’s of GRP. Why Van de Stadt ever chose the to name his boats after a sandbank we shall never know.

The original moulds were owned by Tyler Boats (Kent, England) who produced a total of twelve Seacracker's. These moulds were then sold to their Tufglas division although it is understood that few, if any, were then produced. Production ceased when the moulds caught fire in 1978 at the Tyler factory in Kent.

The Builder - Tyler Boat Co. Limited
It’s worth noting the significance of the Tyler Boat Co., in the history of GRP yacht construction. Edward (Eddie) Tyler bought Cooya, a topsail gaff yawl, just prior to the First World War. She was first registered as a British Ship, No 137336, on June 23, 1914. By 1946, he was a successful builder and had begun using fibreglass to make moulds for concrete panels for prefabricated houses. One thing lead to another and he decided this material would be excellent for waterproofing boat decks - especially as his Cooya was now aging somewhat. After proving his theory, Edward Tyler later founded the Tyler Boat Company, building the first ever fibreglass production yacht, Glass Slipper, again to a Van de Stadt design.

After 1978, Tyler Boats never re-started as boat builders. With their roots in construction they refocused on an industrial property management company called Tyler Holdings. Despite the long gap, and despite the fact that they have no connection with boats now, Michael Vanns of Tyler Holdings has have been very helpful in filling in some gaps about the history of our boats.

They have a couple of old record books which show that a Seacracker was ordered by a Mr. Robinson in October 1973 and was assigned the production number S33/P12 - and their records show this as being the last of this type before the moulds were transferred to the Tufglas division in 1974. S33/P12 was delivered sometime in early 1974It is worth noting that Tyler Boats continued to sell moulds as "Seacracker's" even after the Tufglas division started.

History of the Design
The Seacracker 33 is similar in design to the Harmony and is precisely the same hull as the Trintella IIA. This is contrary to some arguments but the fact is the Trintella IIA differs a bit from the IIB as the latter has a long keel with the rudder blade attached to the back end of the keel. Also, the IIb is shorter than the IIa (9.48 meters vs. 10.00 meters).

The story is that Van de Stadt first designed the Trintella II, but when it was built, they found out that it was a little bit rough on the rudder (too much weather helm). Therefore, in 1965, Van de Stadt shorted the keel, lengthened the back end of the boat and drew a rudder, with a small balancing part, on a skeg. This was the Trintella IIa and the Seacracker 33. These designs were made during the change in the racing rules from the old RORC to the new IOR system, so Van de Stadt chose to play safe and designed a sea-kindly, fast hull with fin and skeg. Incidentally, the Harmony 32 was also built by Tyler Boats.

Cruiser/racer
Van de Stadt aimed to offer fine performance without sacrificing comfort. All but one Seacracker has fibreglass decks vs. teak cladding which minimizes weight aloft and also to help maintain watertight integrity. Hull integrity is further enhanced through the use of a deck stepped mast which is supported by a substantial compression post resting on the keel

Visually, the Seacracker is similar to the Contessa 32 and the S&S 34. Her lines raise gently to the bow so offering a rather rakish look and a fine shape when beating to windward.

With her 1960's design, the Seacracker 33 can't match the accommodation of today's high volume cruisers and nor can they match the speed of the modern racing boats with their flat underwater profiles, narrow keels and tall rigs. However, the seekeeping qualities of a Seacracker make them ideal for serious coastal cruising or offshore passage making.

Performance Under Sail
When going to windward the Seacracker 33 excels. She will keep going, driving to windward, when the more modern cruisers are heaving to or heading for home, beating a Moody 42 in an F6/F7. The Seacracker will point higher (up to 28 degrees off the wind) and will sail faster. In other conditions, a Trapper 28 - which is a fast, light, racing boat with a minimal interior - is good competition and a Seacracker always seems to win until the kites go up, then her extra weight is a disadvantage. One advantage in heavy weather is that she carries her water tanks in the bilge so an advantage may be gained by the racer in heavy weather by keeping full tanks – the water helps stiffen her!

Their performance under sail sees them easily clocking seven knots in less than 15 knots of wind. Unlike some modern cruisers which are have a vagueness on the helm, the Seacracker settles into a groove taking larger waves with a gentle parting, as opposed to bouncing over their tops.

Windward ability is superb, with careful trim achieving angles of 28 degrees off the wind. Of course, she sails best when freed off to 35 or 40 degrees. A typical sail configuration might include a 156% roller-reefing genoa and a main stitched for three reefing points. I find her fastest pint of sail, however, is when she has the wind at 120 degrees off her stern – then she is exciting, fast and safe.

She carries a little weather helm and with almost half of her weight in the keel (2 Tons of encapsulated lead) she stiffens up in a breeze at around 15 degrees of heel. The rudder is hung on a skeg. The LOA is 10.00m and the LWL is 7.32m. The mast is deck stepped but supported on the keel via a below decks compression post.

The Volvo 2020 diesel engine on Sergeant Pepper was fitted in 2001. Delivering 20 HP from it’s 3 cylinders, the boat cruises at a maximum of 6.5 knots, although five knots is significantly more fuel. Given her home waters have a 14 metre tidal range, I have had her fitted with a three bladed propeller – it’s cost me half a knot but it’s very re-assuring when getting out of trouble or setting the anchor.

Manoeuvring under power is fine, until one wishes to go astern and then the prop walk to port prevents her from turning to starboard under power. This is not a factor if one puts the engine in neutral once way has been gained.

Below Decks
One of the more pleasant aspects of the Seacracker is her raised coach roof aft of the mast. This offers 6' 2" standing headroom throughout the critical part of the interior and permitted installation of two larger than average windows to give these boats a light and airy feel.

The companionway has a short, three step ladder which is easily removed to give access to the engine. Mounted in clips next to the substantial hand holds are two white signalling flares.

To port is the galley, with reasonable counter space, a single deep sink, a compact, but well insulated icebox, and several lockers and drawers for food storage. A three burner propane grill / oven is fed from the gas locker located in the aft end of the cockpit (with two propane tanks well secured.

To starboard there is an excellent Pilot berth aft of the navigation station. Comfortable and well sheltered, this is certainly the preferred berth in a blow. The navigation station, fitted with a Yeoman Pro plotter and has a deep chart storage drawer under the hinged lid; few modern boats have such adequate chart stowage!. The electronics here are relatively simple, consisting of a Furuno GP31 GPS and a Garmin hand-held in reserve. The Furuno drives a NASA Clipper GPS repeater in the cockpit and is interfaced with the plotter, the autopilot, and the ICS Navtex 4 which prints a log at an interval of every 15 minutes. The VHF radio is flush mounted above the engine controls, with a powerful external speaker aimed at the cockpit. The most striking item is the Jotron 406 EPIRB, which is mounted on the bulkhead above the chart table.

The salon has two sea-berths, although the port side is uncomfortable for those over 5’10”. Fitted with lee cloths, the berths run parallel fore and aft, and are comfortable underway. The table, which folds in half, is always stowed when going to sea as this makes movement below decks both safer and easier.

Stepping through the main bulkhead, the heads compartment is to port, with a lavatory and SS sink, which slides under a large toiletries locker when not in use. Opposite the lavatory is a hanging locker, intended as a wardrobe but very useful as a sail locker.

The forepeak provides ample accommodation for two (tall) crew in a 33' yacht, although the headroom does suffer somewhat from the anchor locker which drops down at the peak

Engine & Electrics
The engine is a three cylinder 20 HP Volvo 2020 marine diesel installed in the Summer of 2000. This is mounted below the bridge deck/cockpit sole. The engine drives a three bladed fixed propeller via conventional flexible shafting and a Hurth reduction gearbox. Full engine control (single lever) is provided from the steering position. The engine panel is located at the navigation station, keeping the electronics out of the weather.

The fuel tank is mild steel and has a capacity of approximately 25 gallons. This is placed aft of the engine, just below the cockpit sole, and uses gravity feed via copper fuel lines.

The engine has a dedicated 110 AH starting battery and the domestic services by two 110 AH batteries, secured under the port cockpit locker in fibreglassed boxes with lids and straps. Charging is accomplished with the 60 Amp-hour alternator when underway, or by a Sterling 20 AH smart charger when connected to shore power. Isolating switches are fitted as is a Volvo split charge relay.

Rigging
The Seacracker 33 has a bullet-proof rig inspired by the IOR rule so, consequently, she derives most of her power from her genoa. This can be a distinct advantage in heavy weather when sailing under jib alone she is able to maintain speed.

Seacrackers usually have a Selden mast of a large mast cross section, carrying a single pair of spreaders with no aft rake to them. The mast is stayed with fore and aft lower shrouds, and athwartships cap shrouds. In this fashion the baby stay so often found on modern cruiser-racers is eliminated, making spinnaker pole handling a much easier affair.

The mast is deck stepped with a keel mounted support below decks. The mast, boom and spinnaker pole are of anodised aluminium and the standing rigging is made of 7 mm stainless steel wire.

The jib is roller furling and the mainsail fitted for slab reefing. The standard sails include a half battened main, 156% roller reefing genoa, 100% (working) jib, storm trysail, and spinnaker.
Sergeant Pepper has a removable inner forestay which is taken from just below the masthead to a point on the stemhead fitting. Fitted in 2001, this enables her to carry a proper working jib or storm jib in heavy weather, with the roller reefed genoa firmly secured. The inner forestay is tension with a SeaSure Hyfield lever as used by the Royal Navy for securing large life raft canisters.

Deck
Twin bow rollers lead off a dedicated stowage compartment for the main and spare anchors. A stainless steel Sampson post also serves as a hawse pipe. On Sergeant Pepper, the ground tackle is as follows:

Main anchor:
25 # CQR + 175' x 5/16 chain.

Spare Anchor / Kedge:
20 # Danforth + 60' x 3/8" chain + 150' x 3/4" braid.

Storm Anchor:
35 # Fisherman + 60' x 3/8" chain + 150' x 3/4" braid.

Fitted throughout with lifelines and leading aft to a stainless steel pushpit, the deck is made safer still through the provision of deep scuppers and stainless steel jack lines.

The lines for the vang, main halyard, topping lift, spinnaker, downhaul and preventer are lead aft fairly to two dual speed winches mounted either side of the companionway. The sheets lead to two dual speed self tailing Harken 44ST winches. The lines are not interfered with when the heavy duty spray hood is fitted.

The deck has an effective moulded-in non-skid surface and has several teak grab rails for safety. The cockpit has one of the two Henderson manual bilge pumps ready for use, the other being located within a locker in the cabin.

Steering is via a laminated wood tiller, supplemented by a Raymarine Autohelm 4000+ control for use under power.

The cockpit is comfortable for three or four people, with a deep, narrow well. Instrumentation includes the Raytheon Autohelm 4000+, NASA Clipper GPS repeater, NASA Clipper depth and log, and a Raytheon ST60 wind instrument. The collapsible spray hood is substantial and, while not the prettiest ever made, is a godsend when sailing in a rain storm.

Racing
In 2002 Sergeant Pepper was rated under the IRC rule and earned a TCC of 0.854, comparable to a Westerly Fulmar or a Trapper 400/28. She is now fully equipped to Offshore Racing Council (ORC) Category 2.

Her past performance earned her owner more than 30 club trophies. However, she is an old design and is no longer competitive.

Costs
Over the past two years, Seacracker 33’s have enjoyed a period of rapid sales, with typical examples in good condition selling for £28,000. The overall price range is from £19,500 to £35,000, which is comparable to similar yachts of seagoing construction. Some of the less well cared for boats have been traded at £16,000.

Owners Association
There is an active Owners Association, the website for which is www.seacracker.org - the association also has members who own the delightful Trintella 29, a folkboat derivative.

The Association web site has many A0 plans on line, copies of the original brochures, articles of cruises made by members and many pages of interest. Participation in the association is free of charge.

Summary
The Seacracker 33 is a delightful boat to sail, and well proven. Three Seacrackers have made circumnavigations, one of them twice! Everywhere Sergeant Pepper visits, she is sure to draw admiring comments, and in terms of value for money, she has proven to be the ideal choice.

Key Specifications
L.O.A. 10.00m
L.W.L. 7.32m
Beam 2.790m
Draft 1.42m
Displacement 4,730KG (empty weight)
Ballast 2,032Kg
Rig Bermuda Sloop
Sail Area 444 square feet (minimum)
Fuel 25 gallons
Water 25 gallons
Engine Volvo 2020 Diesel 20 HP
Hull Speed 6.6 Knots
Sail Area / Displacement 16.79
Displacement / L.W.L 281
L.W.L / Beam 2.661
Capsize Ratio 1.75
Motion Comfort 27.02

Humperdinck

G

Prop walk ... in astern Sergeant Pepper will not turn to port under power. I've since learned that there's no great secret to this: once you have started moving astern, put the engine into neutral and she'll turn like a charm.

This woks on many other boats too. I can now maneovre like a modern fin keeler.

I'll be down tomorrow if you want a trip?

Humperdinck

Seacracker

Visit site
Some what late with this comment looking at the dates of previous comments but added here for anyone else that may be interested in buying a SEACRACKER 33 in the future, oh and by the way mine is up for sale due ill health with [URL="http://www.liverpoolboatsales.co.uk". These are solid well built yachts. They will look after you in a blow. They are not white caravans on the water. Downstairs is comfortable and secure with good stowage. They are easy enough to single hand. Would agree with previous comment about early reefing; makes life much easier with hardly any loss of speed. Also, as long as your sail balance is good they will almost sail themselves and with no excessive weather helm either. I have sailed mine out of Liverpool for some years now and loved every minute on board. Can thoroughly recommend this boat and what's more she looks good and is a 'head turner'! It's the sort of boat that will appeal to 'sailors'.

interloper

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but what does NACA stand for ,from the text I assume its something to do with balanced rudders??

NACA = National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.

140px-US-NACA-Logo.svg.png

In 1958, NACA was absorbed into the newly created National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).

220px-NASA_logo.svg.png

Last edited:

robertt

Visit site
In case you are interested there is one for sale at Caleyboats that looks nice. I actually put in an offer which was belatedly accepted after having been initially turned down, but I had bought another boat by then. It was considerably below the asking price so if you're interested if you PM me I can tell you what my offer was.