Sea sickness - Scopoderm users be aware

matt1

Visit site
I’ve used scopoderm very successfully for many years and have often recommended them. Back in 2021 when rather sleep deprived I had a hallucinating episode (which I put down to being tierd, maybe in combination with the drug). I’ve not had issues in the last 2 years but probably only wear the patch for 20 hours or so at a time

I see there has been an interesting update last year, so have attached it for anyone interested. I wonder if this explains their current lack of availability? I did recently get a repeat prescription approved by the GP (although they are unaware of the hallucinations in 2021) but the pharmacy have been unable to source any

Hyoscine hydrobromide patches (Scopoderm 1.5mg Patch or Scopoderm TTS Patch): risk of anticholinergic side effects, including hyperthermia

bikedaft

Visit site
Edit - Baxter still seem to make it.

Try an independent chemist - they can order from anywhere, unlike chains that are tied to certain suppliers.

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
I ordered some online recently - most places had no stock but did find some which were considerably more expensive than before.

ylop

Visit site
Is it really worth taking a drug with a long list of known side effects let alone any possible unknown side effects?
All drugs have a long list of known side effects.
If you have taken that drug before and YOU don’t get the side effects YOU probably won’t get them again if you use that drug infrequently in similar circumstances.

Transdermal delivery (patches) have a significant advantage that you still get the drug even if you are vomiting or feeling unwell and don’t want to take oral meds that you may then vomit back up.
Many other sea sickness medications list similar side effects.

The side effects of sea sickness are far from insignificant too: people get rescued because of sea sickness (dehydration and incapacitation are real), I’ve never heard someone be rescued for side effects of meds?

In our case we have them because with type 1 diabetic onboard even feeling unwell (and therefore not eating normally) has the potential to become a significant issue.

However I think it’s just as important that all skippers are able to function. No doubt some people would say those afflicted with mal-de-mer just shouldn’t sail!

Laser310

Visit site
I have raced on a number of boats on which many crew regularly use the patch for ocean races.

I've never heard anyone complain about side effects.

I conclude that significant side effects are uncommon.

oldbloke

Visit site
Scopolamine is the "truth drug" that spies etc would be injected with in old films. Scopaderm was v useful but prone to affect other parts of the central nervous system.

matt1

Visit site
Scopolamine is the "truth drug" that spies etc would be injected with in old films. Scopaderm was v useful but prone to affect other parts of the central nervous system.
Wouldn’t have been much use as a truth drug with my hallucination event as scarily there are whole sections of that passage I can’t remember even though I managed to successfully tack around a TSS ;)

It’s literally the only thing that works (& very successfully) with my seasickness so I’ll carry on with them if I can source some, given I’ve had no issues in the last two seasons.

europe172

Visit site
All drugs have a long list of known side effects.
If you have taken that drug before and YOU don’t get the side effects YOU probably won’t get them again if you use that drug infrequently in similar circumstances.

Transdermal delivery (patches) have a significant advantage that you still get the drug even if you are vomiting or feeling unwell and don’t want to take oral meds that you may then vomit back up.
Many other sea sickness medications list similar side effects.

The side effects of sea sickness are far from insignificant too: people get rescued because of sea sickness (dehydration and incapacitation are real), I’ve never heard someone be rescued for side effects of meds?

In our case we have them because with type 1 diabetic onboard even feeling unwell (and therefore not eating normally) has the potential to become a significant issue.

However I think it’s just as important that all skippers are able to function. No doubt some people would say those afflicted with mal-de-mer just shouldn’t sail!
I suffer from seasickness, sometimes but thankfully rarely quite badly, I have found after three days I recover.
I would never suggest that someone give up sailing if seasick .
Rather they try putting up with it some some time (not for everyone I understand)

Sonnenschein

Visit site
I suffer from seasickness and have found Scopoderm patches an absolute game changer. Yes, they can and do have side effects with some people. These are clearly stated on the pack insert. So it is advisable to have a dry run with the patches — in other words, try one out while you’re on dry land, preferably at home. If you start seeing floating dragons or whatever, steer well clear! Also wash hands meticulously after applying to make certain you don’t inadvertently get it in your eyes or on your face.

Actually, the standard advice is to do a dry run for any of the common drugs. It’s pretty well known that Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine in the UK) can put you to sleep. When I was getting my GP to prescribe the patches, she mentioned she had spent most of a short cruise either asleep or groggy owing to Dramamine.

I know Scopoderm is not available everywhere (in Spain, for example). I wonder if it’s because the authorities decided the risks outweighed the benefit?

Sonnenschein

Visit site
Just re-read the first couple of posts (sorry, should have done so before posting). Bad news that Scopoderm has been discontinued in the UK. I’m in Germany, and it seems to be still available here, just checked.