Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

prv

Visit site
Hi - that's where I purchased the boat from! - do you know of it?

I'd chatted with the owner - apparently now the previous owner - from time to time. When he first arrived a couple of years ago he'd misjudged the amount of water (easily done there, done it myself) and grounded a few metres away from the pontoon. I suggested he throw me a line so I could tie him to the pontoon and he could wait for the water to rise without fear of drifting away :)

I see him around in a Drascombe sometimes now; I hadn't twigged that he'd sold Teazy. I had thought that you were him :)

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
Chatting on another thread has led me to think I should mention this here...

We're already being optimistic expecting the conditions on a date set far in advance might allow us to get to Poole.

There is always the possibility that a prompt return on the Sunday / Monday / any given day may not be sensible due to adverse weather, and sailing despite this just because one ' has to be back at the office ' is a big mistake, lives and boats are more important than any job !

There are good trains, probably even coaches from big stations for each in Poole, there's no shame in leaving the boat and returning the next week, after all it extends the sailing options around the area too.

Just a thought to mention, ' keep Plan B in mind '...

Andy

gallan947

Visit site
I'd chatted with the owner - apparently now the previous owner - from time to time. When he first arrived a couple of years ago he'd misjudged the amount of water (easily done there, done it myself) and grounded a few metres away from the pontoon. I suggested he throw me a line so I could tie him to the pontoon and he could wait for the water to rise without fear of drifting away :)

I see him around in a Drascombe sometimes now; I hadn't twigged that he'd sold Teazy. I had thought that you were him :)

Pete

Aaah I spent a lovely fireworks night last year sat on the mud about 6m from the pontoon waiting for the tide to come in.. a wicked cross current there too.. nearly kept the boat there for winter, they seem a great bunch - not sure what boat Paul moved upto - it was a fair chunk bigger though as i think his dad was looking for a live-a-board.

Seajet

Visit site
I regularly get impatient and try to carve a way through the mud to my drying mooring; sometimes it works surprisingly early compared to the predictions on the tide table, and I'm not talking of atmospheric pressure abberations like we had a couple of years ago.

As long as it's soft mud and the boat can dry out, within reason it's always worth a go, ' Full Power, Scotty ' !

prv

Visit site
As long as it's soft mud and the boat can dry out, within reason it's always worth a go, ' Full Power, Scotty ' !

Yep - in my case (on KS) also including running out to the end of the bowsprit to lift the aft end of the keel out of the mud. Usually trying to get off rather than on though.

Pete

BarryH

Visit site
Chatting on another thread has led me to think I should mention this here...

We're already being optimistic expecting the conditions on a date set far in advance might allow us to get to Poole.

There is always the possibility that a prompt return on the Sunday / Monday / any given day may not be sensible due to adverse weather, and sailing despite this just because one ' has to be back at the office ' is a big mistake, lives and boats are more important than any job !

There are good trains, probably even coaches from big stations for each in Poole, there's no shame in leaving the boat and returning the next week, after all it extends the sailing options around the area too.

Just a thought to mention, ' keep Plan B in mind '...

Andy

Redciffe Yacht Club used to be able to accomodate the odd visitor in grief due to the weather. Cheaper and safer than a lot of the marinas in Poole. Worth a making a note.

Seajet

Visit site
Redciffe Yacht Club used to be able to accomodate the odd visitor in grief due to the weather. Cheaper and safer than a lot of the marinas in Poole. Worth a making a note.

BarryH,

true, and I've found Redcliffe an extremely friendly club whether seeking a berth or trying to get help for injured swans, Redcliffe YC near Wareham, 01929 551227.

Not permanently staffed, and not suitable for deep fin keel boats.

If leaving a fin keeler a place I'd check out is Cobbs Quay, it means getting past 2 bridges with published opening times and doing so near high water ( I've seen the large racing yacht ' Bloodhound ' there ) - and the marina itself has been criticised by residents for lack of dredging lately, but it's a very pleasant sheltered spot.

01202 674299 Taxi or long walk back to Poole centre.

I suspect there are easier places to leave a boat, on a mooring if one chats to Parkstone YC maybe, they are within walking distance of the old quay and Poole town centre, and I've found them very helpful in the past - I wasn't asking for temporary moorings though, that's anyones' guess or pot luck.

The harbour master remains the best guide if having to do this, let's hope it's not necessary; and as I mentioned I and a few others are hoping to stay on anyway so could hopefully keep an eye on any boat left.

Please contact myself, Phill or Russell first, but after that in case you have a laptop onboard or visit a cybercafe;

http://www.phc.co.uk/about_board.html

01202 674299

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Funnily enough it was at the lovely South Deep anchorage in Poole where I introduced my Dad to Pot Noodles, after a long trip from Brixham.

I'm pretty sure I got written out of the will for that...

lustyd

Visit site
Does this mean I shall have to add extra ballast to my little boat to slow it down?

whistling2.gif

If you want a fair race you'll need to leave boobs in the water for 7 months before the trip this time rather than polishing her bottom in an effort to look fast :D at least this time I'll know why I'm slower though. For what it's worth I got an extra knot in August after the fresh anti foul!

Seajet

Visit site
If you want a fair race you'll need to leave boobs in the water for 7 months before the trip this time rather than polishing her bottom in an effort to look fast :D at least this time I'll know why I'm slower though. For what it's worth I got an extra knot in August after the fresh anti foul!

I should explain to worried readers this refers to boat names not unusual practices...if these two get racing I'll try to get photo's to report back here. :)

Ru88ell

Visit site
Hi Folks

Please check Post #1. I've added the names of those who have already submitted requested info to PhillM. That's 12 confirmations so far.

PhillM

Visit site
Holly will have emailed the first draft of the Spotters Guide today. If you have recieved it then you are in it and if you have not, then I don't have your details.

For changes or to send a pciture, please email Holly or me (both emails were included)

For new submissions, please PM me with your email address and I will reply with mine.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Is there going to be a berthing plan for Lymington, or do we just turn up and get shoved somewhere? I'm guessing we'll all be arriving over the course of Friday, and some quite late. The 'small ships fleet' arriving via East Cowes should arrive at a similar time.

Seajet

Visit site
Is there going to be a berthing plan for Lymington, or do we just turn up and get shoved somewhere? I'm guessing we'll all be arriving over the course of Friday, and some quite late. The 'small ships fleet' arriving via East Cowes should arrive at a similar time.

Hi Russell,

We agreed we might not all get berthed together at Lymington, but we should all fit in somewhere in Berthons.

12 confirmations out of what, 26 or so applicants ?! Sounds about like expected; can we decide who'se organising this please, I had been asked by PhillM but if you're back on the scene, great and I hope your health is OK now, mine is still a bit doubtful.

Andy

lustyd

Visit site
Hi Russell,

We agreed we might not all get berthed together at Lymington, but we should all fit in somewhere in Berthons.

12 confirmations out of what, 26 or so applicants ?! Sounds about like expected; can we decide who'se organising this please, I had been asked by PhillM but if you're back on the scene, great and I hope your health is OK now, mine is still a bit doubtful.

Andy
Berthon is in Lymington, I suspect that's what he was talking about :)