SCUTTLEBUTT CHERBOURG

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Richard -

Please add me : MOBO Ebb Tide, probably alone tho' have space for someone wanting night crossing(s) for Yachtmaster Motor.

Last year you publicised a 3-option 3-course meal for 30 euros and we were handed a no-choice inedible substitute after 32 euros had been collected. Can you improve on that please? (I see 55 euros mentioned - including vino is a recipe for megahassle!)

Actually "inedible" isn't fair but the French do take advantage of drunken Brits, while their veggie option is rarely more than tepid lettuce. I was with Mark (Talbot) and his veggie pre-order didn't ever appear; if I hadn't halved my portion the poor soul would have starved.

Personally I'll settle for an omelette and the pleasure of your company . . . Can you fix it?

tome

www.google.co.uk
Malaprop

You weren't on the list last year but Ebb Tide was. Would you be Colin Huggins by chance, and why the change of user name?

You've made it clear that this event falls below your standards so perhaps we could prevail on you to relay fleet Chimet reports from the comfort of your lounge?

In return, we could bring you a veggie burger back from the kebab shop in Cherbourg

Cheers
Tom

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Not name change, post totals change.
Not vegetarian either.
Just speaking for those who were misled.
As before you're too uptight to listen.
Fortunately Richard's made of sterner stuff.
So our purses are in your hands again.
Not only purses gentlemen but our lives too.
Just what are the implications of the Fastnet delay for rally organisers?

tome

www.google.co.uk
I wish you'd keep your blimmin purse tucked deep in your pocket instead of creating grief here

Your life is most certainly not in our hands. We organise a meal in Cherbourg, period. All travel arrangements, including boats and crew remain the responsibility of the skippers

To put it into context, the only bit which we organise here is a date so that we can make a group booking, and the subsequent booking of the yacht club. It is chosen to be a neap tide weekend in September, avoiding the RORC weekend which uses the same venue.

This is not a rally and doesn't want to become one

graham

Visit site
Looks like it could be another good turn out this year,Weather Gods permitting.

90 odd people go year after year quite a few have done every year since it started. Flogging a dead horse trying to please everyone.

There is nothing stopping anyone eating onboard or elsewhere then joining the crowd for drinks later if they wanted too.It would be helpful to let the organizers know if you intend to do this so they dont overbook the meal.

As for placing our lives in the organizers hands that is pure bullshit or a bit of trolling.Quite offensive really to suggest that those who choose to attend cant make their own decision if the weather is suitable for them/their boat.

So having addresed both of Malaprops aka Chuggins points I look forward to seeing some old and some new faces again this year.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Tom

Sorry I have other committments, so can't join you all I Cherbourg this year. Having said that, in light of what malaprop has revealed, if you are intending on sailing to Cher'b via Fastnet, I certainly can't come! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dom

Visit site
There is still a lot to be done!

Will you be issuing tracking devices for the realtime software package? How does one contact the Press Office. Do we get stickers to put on our boat? What rating system will be used?

And finally could you please confirm whether the Barfleur (TK's support vessel) still qualifies to race in Class 5?

duncan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

As for placing our lives in the organizers hands that is pure bullshit

[/ QUOTE ]

not quite Moriarty....on Phaeton we don't have the space for enough beer to support the whole 3 hour passage (from Poole) and rely on the organisers for extremely prompt suppies on arrival...........

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
we don't have the space for enough beer to support the whole 3 hour passage

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont you use the helicopter replen laid on by the organizers? We had 12 cases of stella winched down to us about 30 miles out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Apparently some people whinged last year that the mid channel barrels of real ale werent available as promised. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tome

www.google.co.uk
If you'd kept quiet about our replen arrangements at the time we wouldn't have been rescued by every RNLI boat in the Solent. They don't half like Summer Lightning, which is why we ran out, hic

duncan

Visit site
damm - knew there was some reason to attend the skippers briefing! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

being a weekend I can understand why Julie made arrangements with Stella too.......... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tome

www.google.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
There is still a lot to be done!

[/ QUOTE ]

We've agreed to trial a new tracking system. This will link all boats with the organisers via DSC relay. It's a clever system

Position reports relayed to your nominated next of kin every 2 hours or on demand

Vessel tracked at pub ashore

Ability to send or relay messages, eg

Change of yacht club menu press 1
General complaints press 2
Lost press 3
Disgusted with weather press 4
Not enjoying it press 5
Crew not enjoying it press 6
There's bloody ships out here press 7
Def not coming next year press 8
Re-supply needed press 9
This is fun Don't bother

DeeGee

Visit site
Hi, Tome

You wont remember us, but we made it to CB last year in Black Sugar, up from Treguier. You guys got back on a screaming reach IIRC, whilst we took 3 or 4 days in the face of F6 on the nose all the way. Unfortunately, we have relations visiting at the time of this year's SB cruise, or we might well have been there, not having had enough sailing this year. However, that was not the point of this communique...

We live in Brittany all the time, not tourists. We are very familiar with the price of restos and the quality to be expected. Last year, we were doubly disappointed, as the crooks running the y/c resto had the cheek to expect the guests to cover the missing numbers (trivial sum, but a point of principle) and then the quality of the food was pretty average to say the best for it.

Now, they are upping it to 55€ a go, and Roger (Sailfree) tells me that the same increase if numbers are not fulfilled will be applied. I think they are really taking the P from the SB cruise. Typical menus run from 15€ (3 course) upwards, with even the cheapest being acceptable if plain food. At 55€, we would be eating 5 or 6 (incl. coffee) courses, excellent food, typically filet steak or dover sole as the main plate. I understand that the menu is not even available. This is called buying a pig in a poke, I believe?

If I reserve a table for 4 at any restaurant here (we eat out a fair amount) and then cancel on the night, I get charged nothing, just thanks for informing them. The other people in the restaurant do not get charged for any tables not filled!

I agree that people will know the price up front, and it is their decision, but I also think the menu should be up front by now; I suggest you set up a poll for each of: the quality of the meal and the value for money, to be voted on when peeps get back. It may provide confirmation that it was 55€ well spent, or give food for thought for 2008.

Sailfree

Visit site
I was chasing details of menu in mid august but got no reply as i assumed Pascal (cherbourg marina manager) was away- August -France!! As a point of clarification the Yc are not upping the price from 2006 (which I attended- I think you attended 2005!) but the dearer admiral menu was selected.

Only just back from my hols so will try to chase it tommorrow and clarify position of say bad weather and say only 40 people finally make it.

I am only helping Cutter to reduce the legwork involved so ultimately I will be guided by him.

IMHO there is an aspect of this is what the YC offer, are you interested in going, as it will be impossible for any organisation to please all 80 people especially Scuttlebutt formites that are known as being easy going, amicable and none hold any strong opinions/views.