Scrubbing posts - Hamble

Desmo

Visit site
Has anyone used the scrubbing posts in Warsash recently? Or any in the Hamble river. The only scrubbing posts I have seen in use are in Itchenor, Chistester harbour.
I need to check my prop after getting a mooring line that was streaming from a buoy around the prop in Langstone Harbour......apparently common according to the harbour master team. It stalled the engine, and rope cutter did not cut. One inch braid rope! Fantastic work by the harbour master team and Seastart got it cleared. I now get a vibe at low revs that wasnt there before. Im thinking I have possibly have damaged the cutless bearing as I seem to have a bit of play on the prop shaft that wasn't there previously.

We used the piles at Warsash, albeit 7 or 8 yrs ago, to do a mid season scrub and anode check. Worked fine, but note the tide runs strongly, perpendicular to the piles. Best get there at high water slack, and make sure you tie up in such a way that the initial outgoing tide won't cause issues. We went up river, with plenty of fenders, and we're pushed onto the piles going down. This also made getting off on the rising tide easy.
Can't be certain but I think that because we moor on the Hamble, and had a dues paid sticker, there was no charge to use them.
It was also conveniently close to the Rising Sun, for some refreshment after the scrubbing, while waiting for the tide...

steveeasy

Visit site
You could use the one up nr Jolly Sailor. Don’t get caught out with the tide rushing out though. Managed to get my boat on its side for 6 hours trying to get on as the tide was falling. Made for another entertaining afternoon.
Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
There was a Contessa 32 on the Warsash piles last Friday. They’re in use quite often.
It was in a previous life with a Twister. Double high tide and stopped to speak with my friends wife. As I moved on to the piles I got the bow grounded and on that corner the tide runs fast. Over she went.

Steveeasy

superheat6k

Visit site
I saw someone dried out on the Hamble public slipway tinkering under his boat last Thursday. It's next to the RSnYC.
The Hamble Piles are free to use, but suggest you stay between the piles and the quay. Free to use, simply turn up and tie up. Plenty of pubs and cafes nearby whilst waiting for the tide, but no power nor fresh water nearby.

Other threads that may be of interest