Scottish W. Coast Cruise

claymore

Visit site
I once stopped off overnight at Sanda which was a better alternative from Portpatrick than going on to Campbeltown - its a lovely anchorage and you need about an hour to get to the inside passage for the Mull. There was a thread about Tilman a wee while ago and I just remembered he stopped off in Red Bay - its easier to keep going North from there as Ballycastle sends you a bit further West although its a good Marina with Blue Flag Beach. The tides just take a bit of watching off Fair Head

regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Ballycastle must be since my time. Looks a very useful passage port.

Agree on Sanda, although I've never been. One of the places stored up for the future. I guess tides have to be very much right for entry - must make Alderney seem quite tame.

claymore

Visit site
I think strong tides help really - cos if they are against you there's no point in even trying - kind of cuts out the indecision!

regards
Claymore

Solstice

Visit site
Maybe, but given even an average April he could have done all the hard miles he wants before he had cleared the North Channel!

This keyboard cruising is very beguiling. Contrary to my own advice we are planning a cruise to the Orkneys and Shetland this season and in my mind's eye we are already well past Cape Wrath in a NW F4 and anticipating making a landfall on Hoy having made a fast passage.

In reality we will probably spend over a week flogging against northerlys until we get holed up in the Summer Isles for days while a series of gales go through. At that point we should really cut our losses and head off to Harris when we get a good veer and spend the rest of the holiday pottering down the Outer Hebrides. In practice we will plod on, arriving in Stromness just as my crew's plane has departed.

claymore

Visit site
Indeed you are so right in all you say - but if we cannot get it right whilst 'Keyboard Cuising' - lovely expression, then when can we??
Anyway - its going to be a wonderful spring and summer with Easterliesfor a fortnight at a time and then westerlies - turn and turn about. Max f5 which will be fine as they will be on the beam at all times and rain will fall between 2 and 3 am 3 nights per week otherwise endless cloudless skies
I feel it in my water

regards
Claymore

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
That'll do me nicely. We expect to be bringing the boat home this year the anticlockwise route, up the N.Sea, back down the Irish Sea to N. Wales. Just make sure the easterlies are still blowing when we reach Pentland Firth.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Re: How...

From my experience of Aberdeen, you wait until the only day in the summer for which the sun shines. The following day will bring the haar off the sea, from the E or SE.

Otherwise, as Claymore says, I break the habit of a lifetime and write in the log that I'm heading for Norway.

G

Lucky B**ger

I would recommend a night or 2 in Plockton. sheltered and possessing an excellent seafood pub.

If Tobermoray becomes too much, then a run across to Drunbuie (sp) allows for a sheltered anchorage, just avoid the stirks on the run across

Eigg harbour is a fairly safe anchorage and a climb up the Sgurr of Eigg provides some stunning views across to the Outer Hebrides and the western side of the black Cuillin. Avoid if SW winds produce swells.

Soay harbour should be on your itenary, a bit of a squeeze but a sound bolt hole.

Loch Scavaig is utterly stunning and if you are so inclined allows an quick ascent onto the end of the Cuillin Ridge (not a place to be unless you are handy with axe and crampons)

Arisaig has haul out, diesel a pub and a co-op

and for sheer fun, a run down the Kyle of Lochalsh with the tide under your keel

enjoy

ponapay

Visit site
Forget the buy Clyde ..

its much better further north. Don't bother with Oban either. Just go where the wind takes you, use Martin Lawrence's guides and Hamish Haswell-Smith's book on the islands.

There are hundreds of unspoilt anchorages and bays, and many places to walk or camp. Even the water can be warm enough to swim too.

The outer isles and the far NW are imho the best. Go well prepared there are no marinas and limited places for stores and water, but that is the fun of it.

The grandeur is great.

jleaworthy

Visit site
In the early summer season there is a preponderance of northerlies. I would recommend that you use every favourable wind to push north as far as you want to go and then take your time calling at the many delightful anchorages as you return south.

G

Glenarm on the east coast of Co Antrim has a wonderful new small marina which makes the jump to/from Islay/Craighouse/Gigha very possible on one tide and is an alternative to Bangor (S) or Ballycastle(N). Good food and craic too.

claymore

Visit site
Yes - Bangor seemed expensive last time we were there and there'd been a bit of bovver in the town so we were being advised not to leave the Marina - Glenarm is probably a good alternative.
Was that developed with European Money like Ballycastle?

regards
Claymore

G

We spent last season in Western Lsles. Starting from Plymouth up as far as Skye and back to Plymouth in September. Had a great time. What is it you need to know specifically.China Blue.