Scotland proving especially popular this year (at least to midges!)

boomerangben

Visit site
Ah yes, an article from one of those papers that should know better but realise that their readers don’t actually read the detail.

Funny when someone who produces a midge repellent predicts an invasions of midges. I wonder who paid the journalist.

NormanS

Visit site
It's unusual for midges to be a problem when you're aboard, even if there are masses of them on the shore. They like dull, damp, quiet conditions, and even more importantly, they are said to be able to fly at only 4mph.
We were in the Outer Isles for the whole of June and part of July, and never saw a single one.

steveeasy

Visit site
Been up a fair bit for last couple of weeks and not had the misfortune to see any. nor last year. Im sure its a different case inland.

Steveeasy

Gustywinds

Visit site
Glad I’m away from it this year although I’m glad I’m not down in Camargue at the moment as some friends of our are. Apparently les moustiques are rampant.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
We just spent two months sailing around Scotland's Western Isles. Only places with midges were Inverie and Loch Scavaig. And even then we only saw some at sunset. Wasn't too bad at all.
View attachment 180245
The main season is just getting under way, 2nd half of July and August. They time it for the English school holidays.
Not too bad on the coast but just try going to the hill lochans for the evening rise of brown trout…

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I have been traipsing about and the midge population is horrendous, wet, windy, calm, cold and rarely warm, and the hotels and eateries staffed with miserable pubic hair depositing people that serve unappetizing, dull food. You can’t get a berth as marinas are damaged or full, trades are depleted of skilled staff, moorings have no pickups, seized shackles and unserviced for an unknown time and can’t be relied up. Welcom Anchorages is full of business that don’t exist and incorrect numbers. Visit Scotland shut a long time ago. The roads frequently subside and are full of trucks, vans, old people driving, campers and caravans doing 35 mph on a good day. The bin men are about to go on strike.

It’s shite, stay away.

(-;

KevinV

Visit site
I have been traipsing about and the midge population is horrendous, wet, windy, calm, cold and rarely warm, and the hotels and eateries staffed with miserable pubic hair depositing people that serve unappetizing, dull food. You can’t get a berth as marinas are damaged or full, trades are depleted of skilled staff, moorings have no pickups, seized shackles and unserviced for an unknown time and can’t be relied up. Welcom Anchorages is full of business that don’t exist and incorrect numbers. Visit Scotland shut a long time ago. The roads frequently subside and are full of trucks, vans, old people driving, campers and caravans doing 35 mph on a good day. The bin men are about to go on strike.

It’s shite, stay away.

(-;
You forgot to mention that the haggis have rabies, the sheep have mad cow disease and the Eagles won't let you leave...

arc1

Visit site

It’s shite, stay away.

(-;
And summer was yesterday afternoon and today. Firmly into autumn now, might as well delay any planned visits.....

wully1

Visit site
Bullsh*t…..I’m in the forest 2 or 3 days a week and there are less around than a normal summer.

Ticks though…worse than last year. I now wear permethrin treated clothes and use Tick Magic to keep the wee ‘stards off.