Sciacca and licata anchoring?

fliti

Visit site
Planning a trip marsala to Marina di Ragusa. Does anyone have any recent experience anchoring at Sciacca or Licata (or anywhere else along that coast?)

Yngmar

Visit site
We've been anchoring the last couple days at Porto Palo (Capo Passero, SE corner). Loads of room, very quiet, although near the fishing harbour we had a huge oil sheen all around the boat one day and people have been burning garbage on the shore. Good holding in sandy patches in the eastern part, rocky in the western corner. Plenty of shelter and the fishing boats are friendly and don't kick up a big wash. Not much of interest ashore. Lots of boats using it as jumping off/arrival point for Malta. Siracusa isn't far either and definitely worth a visit.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The OP is coming from west side of Sicily and Porto Paulo is on the east cornor .
South side of Sicily is a problem when it come to anchorages .
Most of the once we use to use are now gone and the few that you could anchor if the condition where right , but you probably still have a bit of a rolly night ,
there been reports that the CG are moving you away , Porto Paulo is one of the very few left .
But as you said , it's a bit dismally, we use it more for when we cross from or to Malta , it's a ok stop for a night

Last edited:

fliti

Visit site
As Vic points out,i'll not be going as far as PP this trip. Met a bloke here in Marsala inbound from those parts yesterday. Said he saw someone at anchor in Sciacca on the East side of the outer wall. Bit rolly in next weekend's fag-end Gregale? If not, worth looking on the East side of the Licata harbour wall too in the Salso estuary?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
As Vic points out,i'll not be going as far as PP this trip. Met a bloke here in Marsala inbound from those parts yesterday. Said he saw someone at anchor in Sciacca on the East side of the outer wall. Bit rolly in next weekend's fag-end Gregale? If not, worth looking on the East side of the Licata harbour wall too in the Salso estuary?

H Fliti
Yea understand that , that why I said you coming from the west and going to Ragusa so you wouldn't be getting as far as PP .
we use to anchor just out side Empedocle and out side Sciacca at one time but it's been reports that boats have been moved on by the CG , you could give it a go , luck of the draw .
Licata up to one point you could go on the outer harbor wall on the west side but last time we was there it wasn't long before we was told we had to use the Marina , lucky for us we had time to sail off else where .

If you plain to winter I'm Ragusa , you should be in for a good time .
We won't be there , we back in Malta foe a few months then Tunisia.