Schengen, Gib to UK, looks like we may exceed 90 days

Portofino

Visit site
There is no means, prior to ETIAS introduction, for one EU state to check Schengen entry date via another state other than passport stamp or a specific police enquiry.
This is correct ,The “ scan “ where ever be it airport , ferry terminal, euro tunnel does not do a date check .It’s doesn’t communicate with other ports / airports either in the EU .Currently nothings joined up .

What it does do is cross check you against’ interesting people “ on a data base that individual port / airport has been instructed to set up . That data base is updated regularly by each states .

I know this because I asked as recently on my U.K. passport there was a stamping error .
A number month 6 had faintly printed as a 5 so in effect I lost 30 days .
I realised this wanting in a queue at Le shuttle , technically on this PP overstayed , if you were to bother counting or indeed the “ scan “ picked up .

So I pre emptied a conversation with Duanes , ( evidence of real journey times in hand = receipts of tickets etc to prove it was June not May ) ……..They told me what I have just told you and waived me through after there “ scan “

The U.K. border force repeated the “ scan “ and repeated the info on its use .They went further stating no interest at all in dates , the only way is for someone to sit down and thumb through all the pages and work it our manually .
Thus far my U.K. passport looks like a 5 yr old armed with a potato stamp has gone mad first day of nursery .

The Eng border force guy said the random stamping actually helps because no one can be arsed working it all out .

So Wife in the U.K. contacted the ferry operator, then border force , both referred us to the Dutch border force equivalent, who simply said get a red pen and turn the 5 into a 6 ……reiterated what the Fr + Eng border force said the “ scan “ isn’t counting anything.

Like most I thought the EU would have the wherewithal to see your date with that scan .I mean think a bank card , anywhere ww Sydney , NY , Madrid it works connected up centrally.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Are you sure they are looking at stamps?

In the airports I have been to, they scan the passport and look at the screen to see whether you have overstayed.
I don't think any immigrations staff actually do the counting themselves.
There is no central system (hence EES) so one country cannot see your entry/exit activity in another country.
And yes, in Greece they certainly go through the entire passport manually calculating days.

dgadee

Visit site
Are you sure they are looking at stamps?

In the airports I have been to, they scan the passport and look at the screen to see whether you have overstayed.
I don't think any immigrations staff actually do the counting themselves.
Going back and forward to Greece, they use their fingers to count the days. I said, "63 days" and he said, "I'll count it myself".

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
There is no means, prior to ETIAS introduction, for one EU state to check Schengen entry date via another state other than passport stamp or a specific police enquiry.
ETIAS is just a pre approved process to filter out undesirables.
EES is the Schengen wide database that will allow each country full access to all entry and exit.
My understanding is that EES is a prerequisite of ETIAS and that neither will be introduced until after the Paris/French Olympics, although there is no official word on the actual (much delayed) implementation dates. Maybe, like the UK scheme to monitor food imports, it will quietly be dropped, although doubt it.
My guess is that most of us can dodge the issue for another sailing season.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
ETIAS is just a pre approved process to filter out undesirables.
EES is the Schengen wide database that will allow each country full access to all entry and exit.
My understanding is that EES is a prerequisite of ETIAS and that neither will be introduced until after the Paris/French Olympics, although there is no official word on the actual (much delayed) implementation dates. Maybe, like the UK scheme to monitor food imports, it will quietly be dropped, although doubt it.
My guess is that most of us can dodge the issue for another sailing season.
I doubt it too ...

EU-LISA was set up in 2012 and is an EU Agency established to provide a long-term operational management of large-scale IT systems to support the asylum, border management and migration policies of the EU.

Operational Systems as of today ...

European Asylum Dactyloscopy Database, Eurodac, a European database that collects and processes the digitalised fingerprints of asylum seekers and irregular migrants.
Schengen Information System, SIS, supports the exchange of information on persons and objects between national police, border control, customs, visa and judicial authorities.
Visa Information System, VIS, supports the implementation of the EU's common visa policy and facilitates border checks. The system enables dedicated national authorities to enter and consult data, including biometrics, for short-stay visas to the Schengen Area.

Coming soon to a border post near you ..... looks like late 2024.

Entry/Exit System, EES will electronically register the time and place of entry and exit of third country nationals, and calculate the duration of their authorised stay. It will replace the obligation to stamp the passports of third country nationals.
European Travel Information Authorisation System, ETIAS will be a pre-travel authorisation system for visa-exempt travellers. Its key function is to verify whether a third country national meets entry requirements before travelling to the Schengen Area.

Still in development ....

European Criminal Records Information System - Third Country Nationals, ECRIS-TCN will be a centralised system that allows Member State authorities to identify which other Member State(s) hold criminal records on third country nationals or stateless persons.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Bringing our boat back up from Gibraltar to Channel Islands, 90 days looked plenty when we departed Gib but the weather has been unusually changeable throughout the journey, we have now completed 80% of the trip.
Unfortunately the current unexpected long lasting summer storms has held us up just south of the Brest Peninsula.
Unless there is a weather window soon, we are likely to exceed the 90 days in Schengen.

Is there a simple way to request an extension?
Or is Schengen intended to force boaters to put to sea in dangerous/ unsuitable conditions .