Salcombe and Dartmouth anchoring charges

Moonbeam

Visit site
Thanks. Rang them this morning as I did wonder about this engine charge
What did they say about the engine charge?

We've anchored in Salcombe many times, never heard of this engine charge before... but according to the link above, unless I'm getting something wrong (very possible) a 10m length, 400 horse power motor vessel would be charged daily harbour dues of £83.90p ? Surely I've got this wrong?

johnalison

Visit site
What did they say about the engine charge?

We've anchored in Salcombe many times, never heard of this engine charge before... but according to the link above, unless I'm getting something wrong (very possible) a 10m length, 400 horse power motor vessel would be charged daily harbour dues of £83.90p ? Surely I've got this wrong?
It looks to me as if your boat would be £15.90 plus £6.80 for the engine, which is approximately £22.70 if I'm right, which is not guaranteed.

Moonbeam

Visit site
It looks to me as if your boat would be £15.90 plus £6.80 for the engine, which is approximately £22.70 if I'm right, which is not guaranteed.
Thanks... Not my boat, just an example

From that link above... they seem to be charging 17p per hp.. so my maths (and my maths are not great) makes it 400hp x .17p = £68 plus the £15.90 for 10m length.

Moonbeam

Visit site

B27

Visit site
I think I've sussed it...what that document of prices linked above does not make clear, is if they are talking about visiting boats v resident boats.

The online 2024 harbour guide (page 15) seems to suggest anchored boats just pay harbour dues of £1 per meter.

I'll give them a call before heading their way. Harbour guide below

https://www.salcombeharbour.co.uk/_files/ugd/faccb1_4b749ab76f8141fda1ac7772b2ede83f.pdf
That document would seem to say that, but only if you're coming by sea.
Personally for the extra £9 in peak season, I'd rather take a mooring than do battle with the cheapskates and crusties in the anchorage.
If the weather's nice enough for anchoring, I'll chuck the hook where there's more space and less muppets, for free.

It's a great place to sit in the yacht club and watch those who think a mooring is poor value argue with one another when the tide turns.
We intend to be there for a couple of days in the first week of July to watch the Merlins.