Sailing Sixties

Cornishman

Visit site
Anybody see the sailing programme on BBC Four tonight? They (Chichester, Knox-Johnston et al) certainly did things the hard way compared with today. No mention of Alec Rose, though.

chas

Visit site
No I did not. The costs of sailing limit me to terrestial TV. But I can rememeber sailing in the sixties. Echo sounders were a luxury. Most engines did not work. All foresails had to be hanked on. Many were cotton. Weather forecasts were suck it and see. Yachts were long and narrow. Sextants ruled!

But Merchantmen kept proper visual watches. Antifouling worked. People had proper respect for a Blue Ensign!

Cornishman

Visit site
BBC Four is now available on terrestrial - it is part of the new digital package called Freeview. You do need a box, but those who hung on to their old ONdigital boxes are OK.
You missed a good programme about the sailing heroes of the sixties including Barry Bucknall, designer of the Mirror dinghy which got so many afloat for the first time.
Best quotation, "We built this Mirror so we had no choice but to learn how to sail it!"

cynthia

Visit site
Yes saw it, good wasn't it? Didn't start sailing 'til the 80s but recognised lots of the scenarios - first experience: read a book on sailing, set off in Mirror dinghy, which was our first sailing boat, on Tatton Park Lake. Scarey or what?

bedouin

Visit site
I'm sorry I missed it - I didn't know that it was on.

For those who can get it - there are a number of potentially interesting programmes on Discovery later today.

A series called "Wind Power" from 16:00-17:00 - which looks to be about the science of sailing. I saw it last week, but I'm not sure if it's going to be any good. Then later this evening a couple of programmes about Ellen McA. Discovery are broadcasting a 5 min slot from Ellen every day at present.

May be worth a look

seahorse

Visit site
I saw it & enjoyed it greatly. As others have said, they certainly did it the hard way then!

Crowhurst story was very interesting, he obviously felt that he was being pushed into something he knew he ought not to be doing (by his sponsor/s?). In the end he flipped bu he still made a credible voyage down to the Fauklands & back, how many of us would attempt that in a cat which appeared to have rather scant rigging?

Tragic that he put so much pressure on his competitor tho.

B

bob_tyler

Ellen MacArthur programmes 20:00 - 21:00 on Discovery

Rabbie

Visit site
Currys are selling Nokia Digital boxes for £79.95. Excellent value for money. Improved picture quality and Channels 5 and BBC4 + 12 others. Suhaili film was really enjoyable.
Rab.

claymore

Visit site
I've read a number of articles about Donald Crowhurst whose story I find fascinating. Living with the guilt of his deception obviously did prove more than he could bear but I still admire his tenacity and skills in getting as far as he did. I think it is tragic that no-one could have just stopped him setting sail - it seems so obvious now that it could only end with his demise which is a waste of what I believe to have been a brilliant mind.

regards
Claymore

plopp

Visit site
those were the days when you could come in under sail (normal circumstanes) plus lower berthing fees how I wish they would return,just got back into sailing ouch, Ssouth coast!
Regards Andy

ps I first tried such boats as:-Herrons,and Puffins talk about rags and sticks would love have a go again,made in garage sailed on pond! hmmmmmm GRP. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by plopp on 11/11/2002 03:53 (server time).</FONT></P>