sailing in Norway

dar

Visit site
Where is the nicest area to sail in Norway coast ? which is the best mounth to sail during the summer ? suggested itinerary for one way sailing ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

spannerman

Visit site
Most of the coast is interesting, you can either go east towards Oslo and Sweden and they usually get pretty good weather in the summer monts of July\ Aug, or you can go north, it isn't interesting until you get to Stavanger, I know cos I live here, then you have a huge fjord system which gives great sailing and lots of islands to stop at and fjords to explore, and of course the mountains are all around you ( its more flat in the east) I would strongly advise you invest in a set of Sport Maps for the areas you are visiting as we have very deep water but also some places to avoid. You can overnight absolutely anywhere as there are no private parts of Norway its available to one and all. Bring your own booze as its very expensive here, and food also. Diesel is around 40p a litre and readily available everywhere. we have a very good relationship here between sailors and motorboats and you will find people very pro English when they see your ensign and they all speak english.

regards Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
There are 20 or so packs of Batsportkarten. Any two would give you enough sailing for an entire summer. The sport karten gdont cover the north or the major fjords. Its a big area.
Getting there
Theres a wide choice:-
a. Via Shetland 200 mile dash to Bergen then either south or north - magnificent scenery
b. Via North Sea to Kristiansand and then east along the coast. This is a longer offshore passage. The south east coast is kinder but less spectacular and with lots o towns
3. Via the Kiel canal, Denmark and Sweden. This is the easy day sailing route but takes a long time.
Do not leave your boat in Norway. If you leave it more than 6 months you are deemed to have imported it and thus will be liable to import duties of around 30% of its value. You may get away with it but the law is roughly as I've stated it.
Norwegians can be very tough on excess booze imports.

<hr width=100% size=1>Roger

Viking

Visit site
We are trying to put together a 'Norwegian Coastal Link'. Which basical means around the Norwegian coast, live some 'expats' who form a loose 'help' connect network, along with some 'natives'.
The idea is to give help and advise as needed, about areas along the coast. Or if there are problems - 'a friendly voice on the phone'
As 'spannerman' said hes in Stavanger. I'm in Ålesund, We have connects in Bergan, Oslo, and North of me in Kristensand and Trondhiem. We are still looking for people along the east coast. we maybe able to fill the gaps.
Books - Norwegian Cruising Guide by J Armitage & M Brackenbury, good over view little out of date. or Den norske los - pilot books and if your going the Båtsportkart packs of your cruising area.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Option b is the way that Challenge Adventure Sailing do it, except they head north of Bergen, and sail up the coast to Bodo. They go end May/beginning of June, but they don't have to worry so much about weather for the NorthSea crossing in a 70ft yacht.

<hr width=100% size=1>

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
It all depends what you want to do. I view sailing as a means of travel to places difficult or impossible to get to by other means. (You just cant visit the coastal islands of Scandinavia extensively and cheaply by any other means). This means I want reasonable weather to see the views and to be close to the shore.
In my view, blasting up to Bodo that early in the season in a very large boat will mean suffering from cold and usually being out of sight of land. You would though have a great hairy sailing experience.
We met a rally of Dutch boats in Haugesund. Their schedule was Den Helder, Lerwick, Haugesund, Den Helder. This was a fine sailing holiday but not my particular pleasure

<hr width=100% size=1>Roger

jlaake

Visit site
The south coast from Kristiansand to the Swedish border is the sunniest. Lots and lots of small skerries. Get very good maps! The south is also the most crowded. With reasonable luck (chances are better than 50%!) you may have water temperatures above 20 degrees centigrade and warm sunny days. Avoid the Oslo-fjord. It's long and boring. The best months are from late June til beginning of August. If you can put up with variable weather opt for the west coast and the coast from the outlet of the Trondheimsfjord to Lofoten (called The Helgelands coast). Here you will experience the most breathtaking coast-line in Europe. Be mindful of distances, though! Be aware that the long fjords on the west and Helgelands coasts can be rain-traps and that wind is mostly westerly, meaning you may have a hard time getting out! It's better out on the islands in my opinion.

Jon Laake
Norway

<hr width=100% size=1>

porth

web.mac.com
If you need any info on the area around Bergen, let me know. Magic place for saling but you need your wet weather stuff as much as your sun cream...

<hr width=100% size=1>

dar

Visit site
Hellow and thanks for your reply,

1. I want to know which is the best mounth to sail during the summer ?
2. Where to start and where to stop -one way sailing ?
3. Itinerary in details ?
4. Name of charter company to contact with ?
5. Any more tips ?
Thanks
Ami

<hr width=100% size=1>

dar

Visit site
Hi Jon.
Thanks for yours reply, I intend to sail in the second week of august,
starting from Son in Oslo fjiord with ocianis 423.
Could you please suggest me nice itinarary for one wek in details from Son-
Where to stop ? nice anchorages, bays, marinas to stay ? what is to see in each places ? tips in pilotage ? dangerous area along the itinarary ? to stay only in Norway coast or to visit also in the Swedish coast and where ? any more worthwhile tips ?
Where can I buy ergently maps in details on the sailing area ?
Thanks in advance
Ami

<hr width=100% size=1>

dar

Visit site
Hellow,
Thanks for yours reply.
I intend to sail in the second week of august starting from Son in Oslo fjiord with ocianis 423.
Could you please suggest me nice itinarary one week in details from Son.
Where to stop ? nice anchorages. bays. marinas to stay ?
What is to see each places ? tips in pilotage ? dangerouse area along the itinarary ?
To stay only in the Norway coast or to visit also in the Swedish coast ?
Any more worthwhile tips ?
Thanks in advance
Ami

<hr width=100% size=1>

dar

Visit site
Hellow,
Thanks for yours kindly reply.
I plan to sail in the second week of august starting from Son in Oslo fjiord.
Could you please suggest me nice itinarary in details for one week.
Where to stop ? nice anchorages. bays. marinas to stay ?
What is special to see in evrey place ? tips in pilotage ? dengerous area to avoied ?
To stay only in the Norway coast or to to visit also in the Swedish coast and where ?
Any more worthwhile tips ?
Thanks in advance
Dar

<hr width=100% size=1>

Viking

Visit site
Hi
The Oslo Fjord is a safe-ish area no real tides (measured in cm only)
Charts can be obtain in the UK? from Kelvin Hughes Ltd Essexs -01815 001020,
John Lilley & Gillie Ltd North Shields - 01912 572217. Imray Laurie Norie & Wilson Ltd Cambridgeshire - 01480 462114.
You will need the 'Båtsportkartserien' (Boat sport Chart Series) 'A', 'B', & 'C' thats -'A' Oslo - Slagenstangen (Son) area 'B' Strømstad (Hvaler) - Mefjorden. 'C' Sandefjord - Porsgrunn- Torungens fyr. Each is a series of small charts (45cmx35cm) in a clear carrying folder. You can buy these in any good bookshop (Bokhandler) here, if you decide to go further down the east Norwegian coast.
Its a popalur sailing area so the main towns and anchorages along with marinas/ports are clearly marked on these very detailed charts (Karts)
August is after the main holiday time in Norway, July.
There is a Catalogue of Norewgian charts called of course 'Katolog over Norske Sjøkart (Sjø = Sea)
Just watch for the buoyage and markers these are marked and explained on the cover page to the charts both in English and Norsk.
I hope this helps?
regards

<hr width=100% size=1>

dar

Visit site
Hi,
Thanks again for your kindly quick reply,
I looked for those english maps in Kelvin Huughes boot in the last London boatshow and did'nt find them there.
I will appriciate very much if you could give me the exectly e- mail adress which company or store to ask the maps you mention. ( I have now catalogue )
Thanks
Dar

<hr width=100% size=1>

Viking

Visit site
Hei Dar
Sorry I have got the E mail addresses of the chart suppliers. But if you have the catalogue on Page 60 is a list of the addresses with phone and fax numbers, which may help?
Regards

<hr width=100% size=1>

dar

Visit site
Hi

I have no catalouge
I shall appriciate to get your help to find the exectly adresses to byy the maps
Thanks again
Dar

<hr width=100% size=1>