Sailing from N Ireland to Southern Ireland - customs issues?

West Coast

Visit site
Hi all,

Will be sailing from the Clyde to Bangor (N Ireland) this weekend on route south to Brittany. From Bangor, plan to go to Greystones Marina, bit south of Dublin.

Checking the UK Govt website, seems departing from N Ireland to EU countries does not require reporting to UK Customs. My question is on arrival in S Ireland, is there customs formalities?

Supertramp

Visit site
No. Uk citizens can travel freely between NI, Eire and the UK. May be more complicated if not UK nationals or carrying goods that need declared. You are advised to carry a passport. No need to use ports of entry etc.

I usually complete the online gov.uk form so the coastguard and border force are aware.

I have arrived at Greystones several times - no formalities. And you are OK to stop on passage - several passage anchorages between Greystones and NI to catch sleep or await tide changes.

Supertramp

Visit site
The same as above. You should notify gov.uk (Border Force) using the online form. Sorry I don't know how to copy a working link.
Screenshot_20230525_102736.jpg
You log in and can set up boat, skipper and crew details for use on future trips. The possible start/finish points include most anchorages in my area as well as marinas and ports. If not listed, you can add your location. Submit the day you sail, and submit to record arrival. I have failed to submit and record arrival due to no Internet on occasions. No issue.

I believe you can contact the coastguard to notify them of your trip if Internet is not possible, but I never have. I sense that the coastguards keep a watch on the Irish Sea so if you have AIS they will be aware of you.