Sailing boots (again)

Neil

Visit site
My Dubarry Ultima boots, which seemed fine when I put them on, suffered rapid and catastrophic failure on their first outing this season. While I've had the boots for some years, they're little worn and I alway took good care of them, rinsing them off after every salt water exposure.

I'm fairly certain they are unrepairable though I'm waiting for the word from Dubarry. I know boots have been discussed here several times, but are there any new entries to the market that I should be aware of? At €360 for replacements, a cheaper though less stylish alternative might be worth considering.
IMG_0725.jpegIMG_0726.jpeg

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...At €360 for replacements, a cheaper though less stylish alternative might be worth considering.
Given the cost of Boots, Oilies, thermal layers and all the rest nowadays, is it perhaps more cost effective just to buy shorts, tee-shirt and a pair of cheap plimsols and use the money saved to fly back and forth to a boat moored in the Caribbean or Mediterranean?

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I sympathise with you, the quality of Dubarry boots has declined dramatically over the last 10 or so years, it looks as if you have the later inferior welded sole type rather than the superior stitched sole boots, my first Dubarry were great, they were comfortable, hard wearing and superb quality, but eventually started to demise after about 15 years of use, SWMBO bought me a new pair for Christmas, I would never complain to her about them but they are not as comfortable, and certainly not as good quality as my old stitched sole ones which were made in Ireland not Portugal.
Still quietly looking for an alternative make, but so far haven't really found a good alternative, but would be very interested to see what alternatives others suggest.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I used to wear Gill tall boots in the knowledge that they would only last 2 seasons. They were also the only ones that I could get onto my size 12 feet.
But for the last 10 years I have realised that boots are unnecessary. Plus they are heavy on the feet. On an AWB I do not get my feet wet, unless it rains & the water runs off my oilies. Then it would always run inside any wellies ( which I wear when launching a dinghy when working on my launch)
Now if it is going to rain I put on a pair of Sealskin socks & wear my Dubarry shoes. I wear Dubarry shoes for much of my day wear as well as sailing & I find they last very well. Possibly because I wear them daily rather than intermittently.

johnalison

Visit site
The only DuBarry footwear I've had were shoes with a similar soles to the photos. They went hard and slippery within a month of purchase and were returned. I have no problem with cheap rubber sailing boots. They seem to last many years and are comfortable so long as you shop around for the ones that fit you.

ashtead

Visit site
I have the previous set of dubarry and the heel has started literally to crumble away . I don’t really wear sailing boots but dubarry would not be on my list again . Interesting repairs possible though

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Dubarry seem to be resting on their reputation. They used to repair/clean/service etc, but no more.

There is a uk company that resoles boots with new moulded soles. I can't remeber who but a google search might reveal their name. They wouldnt deal with me in Ireland, if i remeber rightly, and likely vat, shipping & duty madenit not woorth while.

Probably worth a try

Neil

Visit site
Dubarry seem to be resting on their reputation. They used to repair/clean/service etc, but no more.

There is a uk company that resoles boots with new moulded soles. I can't remeber who but a google search might reveal their name. They wouldnt deal with me in Ireland, if i remeber rightly, and likely vat, shipping & duty madenit not woorth while.

Probably worth a try
Resoled for £130 😱 I've sent an e-mail

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site

Probably worth a try
Register with An Post's Addresspal service. Works well for purchases where the vendor does not ship to Ireland due to laziness in getting to grips with Customs regulations.
Works even better if the vendor offers free UK delivery. You can have your parcels delivered to an address in Hatfield, from whence they are forwarded to Ireland and delivered to your door by An Post once the relevant fees are paid
The service costs €6.50 per item, plus €3.50 handling charge for import duties VAT etc.

Neil

Visit site
Register with An Post's Addresspal service. Works well for purchases where the vendor does not ship to Ireland due to laziness in getting to grips with Customs regulations.
Works even better if the vendor offers free UK delivery. You can have your parcels delivered to an address in Hatfield, from whence they are forwarded to Ireland and delivered to your door by An Post once the relevant fees are paid
The service costs €6.50 per item, plus €3.50 handling charge for import duties VAT etc.
I'll look into that, thanks!

diverd

Visit site
i fix anglers waders, wading boots, scuba suits and the like, and if it was not for the missing foam its actually an easy repair. With the missing inner sole its really only a manufacturer repair, or something a really good local cobler could do, if you can find one. If you pm me i can talk you through how to do it yourself, but as you note, with the missing foam its never going to be perfect. If it was not for this it would be invisible! With the inner sole intact, the foam layer, its a £20 repair, but with this now breaking down the problem is getting suitable material to make it right. I would look for someone local who repairs shoes and boots

Star-Lord

Visit site
Orca Bay for me - very comfy and great as slippers as well. Perfect for 'warmer' climes. If wearing sealskins and in UK then Musto. I have Musto as well (long story) and they are heavier and warmer and more substantial. If I had to choose one it would be Orca Bay because they are lighter and more comfortable.

biscuit

Visit site
My Dubarry shoes broke a leather lace shortly after purchase. It couldnt be re-laced as both leather laces has been sewn in at various points!
Dubarry did eventually (unapologetically and with poor grace) fix them. They are still stiff and uncomfortable after several years use and repeated immersions.
I won't buy Dubarry again.

Neil

Visit site
Dubarry got back to me and determined the boots were 17 years old! They also said the midsole material now is different and not prone to crumbling........