Saildrive leg - applying antifoul in cooling water intake channel

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
Its that time of the year again, and I am hoping to antifoul this weekend. I use Trilux (copper free) on the VP SD130 saildrive. There were a few barnicles in the cooling water intake last year, so keen to get some antifoul as far up this as possible. Any tips? A bottle brush perhaps, may help to push paint up the tube. I know some fit a separate seacock, which is an option, but the boat comes out annually and the growth is light and keen not to have another hole in the hull.

Any ideas welcome:)

Angus

Skylark

Visit site
Mine is Yanmar but otherwise the same issue. The leg has 2 water channels. I’ve never tried to get paint inside either. At the end of the season I push a welding rod, the end bent back upon itself for about 25mm, into each channel and have a good scrape around.

The boat is now 5 years old so at the start of last year I thought that more determined action may be needed. I hence covered the inlet/bottom of the leg with a lot of cling film and poured 33% brick cleaner into the water channels from inside the strainer. Held it for about half an hour then removed the cling film and let the acid run into a bucket for inspection.
I then poured a litre of Pound Shop antifreeze through the system to flush away the acid. It seems to have worked.