safely running engine in the yard?

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
what is the best way to run for about 10-15 minutes whilst not in the water. It`s a volvo MD22.

Thanks

Stick a hose into the raw water filter or inlet but be 100% sure it does not come out.

I have found it easier and less mess if their are two people, one to start the engine and the other on the hose which has a open close fitting on the end, so immediately the engine fires
he turns on the water flow and they does not shut it off until the engine as stopped.

rob2

Visit site
Girstly remember that the engine vibrations may shake loose any prop wedges, so bang them in hard before and after you run the engine.

My preferred method is to take the hose off the seacock and put it in a bucket of water on the cabin sole (don't put it on the seats as it increases the head the pump is seeing). A hose with a trigger is used to fill the bucket and keep it topped up whilst running. Take careful note of where the exhaust is pointing as other boat owners won't appreciate being splattered with sooty water - been there... If neccessary rig a bit of scrap ply to deflect the exhaust downward.

Rob.

jwilson

Visit site
A lot of difference between a bilge-keeler sitting solidly on the ground (or timber railway sleepers), and a deep fin-keel boat held up only by props and wedges. Hose into inlet can overpressurise engine with water leading to damage. Bucket on saloon sole filled via hose much better, and you can finish off with tipping antifreeze in at the very end just before you shut down engine.

theoldsalt

Visit site
Yes, indeed it is difficult to imagine a bilge-keeler falling over. I think the logic is to apply a blanket ban rather than allow some and not others which could cause problems.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
If you have a vetus water strainer with a screw off top, I used to just have a hose with a stop/start attachment on the end and keep the water filter topped up. Also a good way to get the engine up to heeat and the thermostat open if you want to winterise the raw water side with antifreeze. Once the engine is hot pour in the premixed coolant/antifreeze until it's all gone through and then switch the engine off. Mind you the yard might not like antifreeze pouring out of the exhaust........

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
If you have a vetus water strainer with a screw off top, I used to just have a hose with a stop/start attachment on the end and keep the water filter topped up. Also a good way to get the engine up to heeat and the thermostat open if you want to winterise the raw water side with antifreeze. Once the engine is hot pour in the premixed coolant/antifreeze until it's all gone through and then switch the engine off. Mind you the yard might not like antifreeze pouring out of the exhaust........
I was thinking of doing this with buckets of water/final antifreeze with a funnel into the bronze strainer on my swinging mooring prior to final lift. Could there be any problems with this?