Sadler 29 Insurance survey

Johnny WAFI

Visit site
Hi

I am due to have an insurance survey carried out on a boat I have owned for 10 years. Apart from the seacocks and shaft is there anything that could cause a catastrophic failure that is not obvious that I should specifically ask the surveyor to report on. I've had the standing rigging replaced.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
As long as you have instructed your surveyor that you want an insurance survey then s/he will know what is needed.

A survey for insurance proposes is so that the company have an independent assessment of the current condition of the vessel.

Showing the invoice for the replacement rigging is worth doing.

Boathook

Visit site
I've learnt a bit from watching and helping surveyors in the past. The helping bit is a fine line but I've found that emptying lockers for the surveyor to look in, etc or explaining modifications really helps.

If you still have the original gas locker, and it's like our previous S29, draining into the cockpit, and then out via the cockpit drains, make sure the surveyor you select is happy with this before you commit. While this setup doesn't meet current gas standards, it is safe (unlike the S34, where the angle of the transom means there's always water left in the cockpit drains, and so gas won't disperse via them). If the surveyor doesn't like it, and notes this in the report, your insurance co will insist you sort it. This involves sealing in the gas locker, and fitting a drain from it, which will need another hole in the hull.

Other threads that may be of interest