S.Ireland: seeking places to leave a Moody 31 for a couple of weeks this summer.

lampshuk

Visit site
Between Cork and Baltimore?

I am contemplating a voyage to S. Ireland this summer, leaving Drifter there for a week or so before returning with a crew for a cruise along the coast then back to Plymouth.

I was thinking that Kinsale is an obvious choice since it's close to Cork airport and there's a couple of marinas/yacht clubs there.

Any specific recommendations in Kinsale?
Alternatives to Kinsale? She's used to being tucked up in a marina, but should be happy on a buoy, so long as she's nice and safe :)

cpedw

Visit site
We used a swing mooring at Royal Cork Yacht Club for a week in 2011. It was good. There are several other yards and marinas in and around Crosshaven but we didn't shop around; I'm sure there are several other possibilites there. Cork airport is easy to get to from Crosshaven.

We called in at Kinsale but didn't check out the long term storage. It seemed very busy with boats so I'd expect it's possible too.

Derek

LoneHort

Visit site
Morning lampshuk.
If you decide to make it to Dingle marina I can keep an eye on her for you.
Nearest airport is Kerry (KIR) and ryanair fly from the UK into there.
The other more cost effective option closer to Cork may be the new (small) marina in Bantry as not as heavily trafficked as Crosshaven or Kinsale. Buses run from Cork city.
In Crosshaven you could strike a deal with Salve Marina for a few weeks.
Hope this helps.
Micheal

RIBW

Visit site
...If you decide to make it to Dingle marina ....Nearest airport is Kerry (KIR) and ryanair fly from the UK into there. Micheal

I'd go a step further and say you should go to at least Dingle even if it means leaving her two or more times. Micheal is right that Kerry is the nearest airport but I also found Shannon viable. Yes, it is a long taxi ride but the cheaper airfares and more frequent flights from more airports mean there might not be much in it.

I have been to all 100 harbours between Kilmore Quay and Kilrush, so here's my 6d worth of personal favourite must sees (west to east):-
Dingle, Skellig Michael, Derrynane, Lawrence Cove marina, Glengarriff, Crookhaven/Fastnet, Castletownshend, Glandore, Kinsale, Youghal, New Ross and Kilmore Quay.
Have a great trip
Bob

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I have left my boats in Kinsale twice both times on a mooring buoy, have a word with the harbour master. It was considerably cheaper than the marina, connections by bus to Cork are excellent.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Something you may well have considered (?) is the Jester Baltimore Challenge is on so even if you can't take part you may well find some that will cruise back with you, or others that will be leaving their boats as well. Might be worth asking on the Yahoo group.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Between Cork and Baltimore?

I am contemplating a voyage to S. Ireland this summer, leaving Drifter there for a week or so before returning with a crew for a cruise along the coast then back to Plymouth.

I was thinking that Kinsale is an obvious choice since it's close to Cork airport and there's a couple of marinas/yacht clubs there.

Any specific recommendations in Kinsale?
Alternatives to Kinsale? She's used to being tucked up in a marina, but should be happy on a buoy, so long as she's nice and safe :)

KInsale is a good choice. The Yacht Club Marina can put you up either on a pontoon or a mooring. A few years ago I needed to leave mine there and they said "Just leave it on the visitors pontoon and we'll move it out onto the mooring in a day or two".
Here's a link:
www.kyc.ie/index.cfm/page/marina
or contact Paul paul@kyc.ie>

Last edited:

Kinsale373

Visit site
Yep , Paul is a good contact for Kinsale Club Marina and the boat would be fine there in any weather. I'd say to avoid June 24th to 29th as Sovereign's Cup race week will be on and the marina will be full with visiting Race Boats.

You also have Castle Park Marina in Kinsale which generally is not as busy and worth a try.

The Harbour Master in Kinsale has a few visitor moorings up river from the Club Marina. 00353 21 4772503

You could get a Moorning Buoy from the Harbour Master in Baltimore. Diarmuid Minihane, 00353 87 23514585
I wouldn't leave a Boat unattended on the pontoons in Baltimore.

There are a good number of visitor moornings in Glandore, You could enquire from the Yacht Club.

Regards Kinsale 373

lampshuk

Visit site
Many thanks to all - some great suggestions here. I am in Cork on business at the moment and had the opportunity to drop in to see the HM at Kinsale and as you said, he (Quentin) is very helpful.

I may give the YC a call as well, Glenans, since getting on/off the boat on the HM mooring buoy may be problematic. The period is likely to span the Sovereign C up, though, so perhaps not ideal.

Very much spoilt for choice here - it's such a beautiful cruising ground. Very bracing at the moment:

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

And, yes, Father(?) Jack, it's the Jester Challenge that's got me even thinking about this in the first place. Lots of logistics and other things (like work commitments) to arrange before that becomes plausible, though. I will check out that Yahoo Group.

Thanks very much for the quick and helpful responses. Much appreciated.

Martin.

Kinsale373

Visit site
Hello Kerenza,
If you want to be close to the action , Kinsale Club Marina is great. If you're involved, i'm sure the club will organize a spot. Many of us members will move our boats for Sovereigns week to create space. Talk to the Club, Brian Hunt is the Marina Manager, Paul is very helpful and will look after you.

Castle Park Marina should be a little quiter and is just actoss the water. Im sure the club provides water taxis during the event.

Enjoy the event
Regards, Kinslale 373