Rules in the Netherlands?

jmnapier

Visit site
Hi Folks
planning to spend 3 weeks of July in Holland, specifically Amsterdam. The RYA website discusses fitment of toilet holding tanks and use of red diesel. Does anyone have experience of actual application of rules relating to these two areas?
many thanks

Greg2

Visit site
We have been to Holland a couple of times but that was before Brexit. We were boarded and inspected in Ijmuiden when we were in the marina and we didn’t have any issue with either red diesel or holding tanks i.e. they didn’t pay any attention to either.

I haven’t actually heard of any issues in Holland with red diesel and if memory serves it has been Belgium that have been a bit challenging in the past. The thing to do is to have proper receipts for several fill-ups with red in the U.K. aboard so that you can evidence why there is red in the tanks. It would also be prudent to fill up with white upon arrival and keep the receipt so that overall you can show a clean pair of hands in case you get an enthusiastic rep from the authorities asking questions.

Can’t offer anything on holding tanks - I don’t recall i5 ever being discussed in our boating world (we are east coast so the Netherlands are a common destination).

Tradewinds

Visit site
I was based in Amsterdam for 3 years (Amsterdam Marina). Never had any issues or questions about holding tanks or the colour of my diesel. As for holding tank - it's handy to have one but you don't really need one as there are shoreside amenities aplenty. Enjoy there's lots to see and do - the Dutch are great and enjoy their boating (and drink and fags etc etc).

Poecheng

Visit site
One of the Middelberg canal bridges was broken last week (we had to wait 4 days in Vlissingen before coming through the canal on Saturday) but always worth checking whether the canal is operating.