Route planning out of Marmaris, 1 week charter

mattyburksta

Visit site
Hi All,

I have gone for a bareboat charter, I was looking for some advice around planning a route.

I am only chartering for a week (I wish I had 2 but alas), the boat is a 2015 Dufour GL 45. I was just wondering whether it is was best to head east or west out of Marmaris bearing in mind I only have a week to get the boat back to Marmaris. We are late twenties looking for some great sailing but also some good shore activity (walks, biking, ruins etc...) some nightlife could be nice, but we are mainly here for scenery, sailing and sun!

Just some advice on costs for a berth, food, drinks, eating out would be really helpful. The Lira has obviously tanked recently so it has come down in price. Any hints/local know how on mooring, anchoring or just general advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...key-(beginning-of-August)#AA3G6iF3x50pRgPJ.99

macd

Visit site
There is a river inland on the way to gocek, are you able to get inland at all by boat?

(That's from your similar thread on Scuttlebutt, by the way, but since you've decamped here...)

I presume you mean the Koycegiz River, which goes up to Dalyan and the nearby ancient city of Caunos. Unfortunately there's a very shallow bar, depths about one metre, so no-go for most yachts. The locals ply a busy trade with trip boats which do go up to Dalyan/Caunos (from Ekincik, amongst other places). Worthwhile, but likely to be busy in August. It's possible by tender, although the trip boats reputedly don't like the 'competition'; and a charter outboard perhaps isn't the most reliable.

Local legend, which the trip boat captains are keen to put about, is that scenes from The African Queen were filmed here. A good story, but poppycock.

Last edited:

Norman_E

Visit site
I have posted on your original thread. One other point, most restaurant jetties are not directly charged for, but the meal costs reflect that. Wine is expensive in Turkey, local beer fairly cheap. You will have to pay to berth in Bozburun harbour, (probably about 50 lire) or in Selimiye where the council took over all the restaurant jetties. Last year it was 20 Lire there on a restaurant jetty, but more on the municipal one.