Route from Hamburg to South Coast

G

I shall shortly be moving a motor boat from Hamburg to the South Coast. We expect to travel about 80 to 100 miles per day and as we are unfamiliar with the area and would appreciate any recommendations for overnight stops. In particular, the things you do not find in the Almanac's, some decent places to eat and drink,etc close by. Methods of paying for diesel and pricing would be useful too!

G

Can't remember exactly where Hamburg is in Germany, and I guess a lot depends on the size of the boat you're on, but:

If you come through the Dutch inland seas and canals they are wonderful. Come out on to the Westerschelt (near Fliushing/ Vlissingen). Possibly overnight in Breskens (opposite Vlissingen). Nice marina, nice restaurants etc, and 24hr access. Then into the "briney" proper. Ostend is well worth a visit (Mercator Yacht Harbour). (Nieuport good too, but use the bikes supplied, as the town is quite a walk). More restaurants than I have seen in one place, all within a very short walk, and the most fantastic seafood stalls all along the edge of the marina. (if EU haven't killed them off) Dunkirk is a dump of a marina and very expensive, but plenty of restaurants and the town is quite nice. Much better, funnily enough is Calais (access HW-1 to HW +1.5(?). Locked inner basin (one gate only) nice little club house/ loos etc, and plenty of very good restaurants at all prices, all nearby. (still relatively expensive mooring)

Over the separation zone, remembering the rules, and stop in Dover. Nice mooring, Royal Cinq Ports YC are very hospitable and good grub, 24hr access.

After that I'd burn some diesel and go for the Solent. Have not stopped at Brighton or Eastborne, but saw my boat in Brighton. What a dump/ building site.

Head for Bembridge, IoW. follow the buoyed channel and enjoy the peace and quiet. Super restaurant in St Helens (up hill) called Gannets or Puffins, some seabird anyway.

Fuel in Holland and France is local road price, Belgium is still relatively cheap, Dover is far cheaper. Cowes, second on right is amongst cheaper Solent diesel suppliers.

Good luck and don't be in too much of a hurry.

G

I have travelled twice from GB to the Baltic and did stop both times in Terchelling out in the Frisian Islands. If you travel offshore this is an easy harbour to get to and the city is nice. Last time I was there they didn't have any diesel but on the next island a gray beard in wooden shoes brought a barrel for us on a cart.

G

Would you like another crew member? I would like to get motor moat experience and am a sailing Yachtmaster Instructor.