Route Details - MDL Penton Hook Marina to Ocean Village Marina

oGaryo

Visit site
Just shelled out for a Garmin Edge 810 so there's at least one of us on the ride with GPS mapping and turn by turn direction capability. Also has the Heart Rate Monitor strap to ensure I don't overdo things and the cadence sensor should come in useful for the training.

Out of interest, has anyone else got something similar for the mapping and turn by turn directions?

Last edited:

oGaryo

Visit site
Good going Gary. What sort of speed? :D

slow, gutted actually as I wanted to upload it to Strava to give everyone else something to laugh at ;) really struggled up the hills, a bit of sick came up half way up one of them lols sorted me out for the rest of the day though, no hangover by the end of the ride

fireball

Visit site
I have an 800 - so basically the model down from the 810 ...

I'm still not sure if I can make the ride - it'll be touch and go.

I don't know all the roads on the route, but I know of the road through the Meon Valley and tbh I'd prefer to avoid the A32 on a bike - it's a bit of a main road - not a lot of choice through that area though...

oGaryo

Visit site
Morning guys, I'll shortly be travelling down to Woking to pick up a carpet cleaner for the boat and intend to then drive the majority of the route from that point down to Southampton checking out points of interest along the way e,g, where we can stop circa every 20 miles, noting particularly hilling sections, sections that need a rethink to keep them safe as possible etc. I'll start from Chobham

If anyone lives local to a point on the route and fancies meeting up (briefly as I need to be back in MK to go to the cinema tonight) give me a call on 07882 472605.

Here's an electronic print out of the route I'll be checking out today: https://www.strava.com/routes/1230951/cue_sheet

cheers Gary

Note: on the day, it would be good for everyone to have prInted out the cue sheets as they give you turn y turn directions, even if it's to give you a backup to your GPS

oGaryo

Visit site
Well, that was more than worthwhile. Have found several issues with the current route but once corrections have been applied we'll have a route that will give us an excellent ride.

Spoke to several pub landlords on the route and have their support to provide food, snacks, water, beer etc. I have also dropped off collection tins with them and they are happy to post up posters, balloons and banners. One in particular have their own cycling club so are keen to get involved. I have left several collection tins at Penton Hook marina too after speaking to Ben in the marina office.

More details to follow once I have amended the route and typed up my notes.

Cheers Gary