Round Sail Battons

hollmanr

Visit site
Hi, my fully battened main sail has round sail battens, rather then "flat" ones. The 2nd from the top is now broken so would like to replace it. The dimensions are 2 meters long with a diameter of 12mm. I can't seem to find any suppier who sells round sail battens. Does anyone know of a supplier who does ? I'm based in Ireland but European online shops should be OK. BTW I can't use flat battens as the pocket where the batten slides in (the pocket atatched to the sail slider) is only about 15mm wide. thanks !

ianat182

Visit site
Graham Leggatt Sails at Warsash, Hampshire could be a possible source they specialize in Catamaran sail making, so use long battens and may have a source of supply for a round type; some I used had spade-ends to secure in the pockets. A long bamboo might be a cheap option meantime.
Also Try Kayospruce at Segensworth ,Fareham,Hants.

ianat192

Tranona

Visit site
You won't find sail battens in online shops as they are not really a retail item. They are supplied in coils to sailmakers who cut and finish them to suit the sail they are making. So, as suggested contact a local sailmaker who will almost certainly have the raw stock and cut to the length you require. As already mentioned Bainbridge is the main supplier.

William_H

Visit site
I would be thinking about a repair. It may be possible to find piece of GRP or carbon fibre tube that will fit inside. Lay up a layer of kevlar on the outside to hold it together. Fit the broken part towards the back of the sail ie not near the luff. The middle to aft being essentially flat so batten straight. ol'will

Neeves

Visit site
Round sail battens come in different forms and sizes, some are hollow some solid.

I know them as Blue Streak but on using Google I also find the name Permex. Having used Google I may only have uncovered Australian sources, here you can buy them from chandlers.

My exposure to them is limited but the ones I have used have been almost inflexible, glass fibre hollow tubes. I used them to carry an SSB aerial up a stay :)

Bluestreak Products - Permex Products Australia

Try the link for their distributors.

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
You won't find sail battens in online shops as they are not really a retail item. They are supplied in coils to sailmakers who cut and finish them to suit the sail they are making. So, as suggested contact a local sailmaker who will almost certainly have the raw stock and cut to the length you require. As already mentioned Bainbridge is the main supplier.

This is exactly what I had to do .... Sailmaker asked me how many metres I wanted ... I bought a half coil of 10m ....

I cut with grinder to length required - then sanded ends smooth to suit.

Note that I could not get as narrow as original (its siting at bottom of harbour !) .. so bought next width up .. as Sailmaker said - grind down the ends to fit the end slots ... taper out the reduction ... the difference in width is not an issue ..

You can find battens over counter - but I found they are for dinghys / small sails only.

Refueler

Visit site
What can lead to skin rash and itching from 'shards' into the skin as splinters - is sanding any GRP or especially CF rods ...

Normally CF rods / bars etc are coated for this very reason ... the resin used to bind the CF is allowed to create the protective skin. When you sand - you break that and I know from personal experience - IT CAN REALLY HURT !!

Stemar

Visit site
What can lead to skin rash and itching from 'shards' into the skin as splinters - is sanding any GRP or especially CF rods ...

Normally CF rods / bars etc are coated for this very reason ... the resin used to bind the CF is allowed to create the protective skin. When you sand - you break that and I know from personal experience - IT CAN REALLY HURT !!
Putting them in and out of the sails has the same effect as sanding.