Round Britain summary of the trip including costings

Concerto

Visit site
The object was to sail round the whole of Britain in my 1980 Westerly Fulmar, with only 3 things that I must include, round Out Stack, the most northerly point of the UK, meet with my daughter and her family in North Wales and be at the Southampton Boat Show every day. I did sail past the most easterly and southern points as they were impossible to avoid. The weather was not suitable to go out to Soay, St Kilda, the most westerly point of the UK. I should have visited Londonderry as the most westerly harbour in Northern Ireland, but time limits came into play.

The trip should have started by the end of April, but some upgrades to Concerto that over ran due to technical problems, and it started on 27th May 2022 When I started, I forgot to read the log, so I cannot quote how many miles I travelled, but it is about 2,000 miles.

The trip was completed in 54 day sails over 127 days, including some quite long distance and in rough weather. Being singlehanded, I set Force 7 as the limit in the weather forecast for sailing. Well four days it reached Force 8 and one day reached Force 9. Both Concerto and I survived all the weather could throw at us, with only a few very minor breakages. To be honest, I enjoy heavy weather sailing as you can sail faster and further.

The further north you sail, the colder it gets compared to down south. On 19 July, when the hottest day of the year was recorded, I was sailing with a long sleeved thick shirt, thick sweatshirt, full oil skins, boots, and a thick wooly hat with the jacket hood up. It was about 13C, the normal summer temperature range for the north of Scotland is 15 to 20C. I did not see 20C until I was in the Scottish southwest isles.

The early part of the trip had many delays due to unseasonal northerly winds. Delays in Lowestoft and Wells meant I later pushed harder to make up time.

DJI_0001 Wells 1000pix.jpg
Wells-next-the-sea

Once I passed the Humber, the East Coast of England was more interesting than I expected as there were plenty of castles and places to see. I feel this is an under rated area to sail as there are plenty of harbours along a fairly straight section of coast but quite exposed in any easterly winds. Scarborough, Hartlepool and Amble were all worth visiting.

Hartlepool 1000pix.jpg
Hartlepool with HMS Trincomalee in the foreground

The East Coast of Scotland has many limited access tidal harbours which is a problem, so I planned to visit only those with full tidal access. The arrival in Eyemouth was slightly hairy as the entrance is only 32m wide and there was a Force 8 blowing out of the harbour. Whitehills was a delightful small harbour that definitely was worthy of the Runners-up award in 2021 for the marina with under 250 berths and if a Gold Anchor marina. By comparison at Stonehills, you moor against a concrete wall with up to 3m tidal range. However, the walk into town has a boardwalk with marine sculptures. It was then onto Peterhead, where the marina was large and sheltered. The marina in Wick was quite spacious and there is a useful chandlery close by and a very interesting local museum.

DJI_0013 Whitehills 1000pix.jpg
Entrance to Whitehills Marina

IMG_4207 1000pix.jpg
Stonehaven

In Orkney and Shetland there are virtually no trees, so the landscape looked quite bleak and in places very rocky. The days were incredibly long and still quite light at midnight. Kirkwall has a huge number of cruise ships visit every year, but post Covid it has dropped from 220 to 170. By comparison Lerwick will have just under 100. Both island groups have a variety of marinas and anchorages, with the smaller ones using the Norwegian marina pontoons that do not have cleats but hoops, which can make berthing difficult. The better bit was these small harbours were only charging £15 per night irrespective of length and included electricity. Some places even had boxes to place the berthing fees in, so they were very trusting. When I berthed in Fair Isle, the fee was £20, but you could stay for 4 nights, however the honesty box had £300 to £400 in cash in the box. Rounding Out Stack and Muckle Flugga was a big disappointment as thick fog prevented me seeing the rocky cliffs. Whilst in Lerwick I saw an electric folding bike in a shop window and thought it would prove useful, and it certainly proved so.

IMG_4501 1000pix.jpg
Concerto in Kirkwall at 23.15

IMG_4570 1000pix.jpg
Berthed in Fair Isle

The high point in Shetland was visiting Lunna. This was the place where the Shetland Bus started. During WWII many fishing boats left Norway when the Germans invaded. Later during the winter months some of these vessels returned to Norway under the cover of 24 hour darkness with agents, arms and radios. On the way back to Shetland they brought people escaping from the Gestapo. As I walked off the pier, a pickup drove up and the man started striding towards me. Ooops, what had I done wrong. So, I greeted him with what a fantastic place filled with history. He melted and told me about the many people connected with the Shetland Bus. He then unlocked the building to show an inscription carved in a stone relating to a special operation to try and sink the Tirpitz. Finally, he asked if I would like to visit Lunna House, where the crews lived. You bet. He then phoned Tony, the owner, and I then spent an hour and half looking over the house. Later I went to Stromness, where the operation was moved to in 1942 and visited the museum that had section devoted to the Shetland Bus.

IMG_4675 1000pix.jpg
The quay at Lunna

Returning to the Orkney Islands, I visited Scapa Flow. Entering from the west was probably the roughest place I have ever sailed, with waves of 4 to 5m peak to trough as I was running in with a Force 8 with wind over tide of about 5 knots. Progress was very slow and looked as though I was in trouble, so someone called out the RNLI. By the time they arrived, I had passed the worst bit of water. Visiting the museums relating to the scuttling of the German Fleet at the end of WWI is worth doing.

IMG_4925 1000pix.jpg
My welcoming committee arrived on this vessel

IMG_5086  1000pix.jpg
Part of the new Scapa Flow Museum at Lyness on Hoy

Heading for the western isles of Scotland did not go according to plan as the wind direction was not as forecast making it a full beat, making me miss the tidal gate at Cape Wrath. Instead of arriving in Kinlockbervie by about 10pm, it was 3.30 the following morning. Some places I visited include Lochinver, Stornaway and Scalpay, before heading for Oban. Working through the western isles was great as it had stunning scenery, but I unfortunately could not visit as many places as I would have liked. In the future I plan to return to visit many of the places I missed.

DJI_0061 Lochinver 1000pix.jpg
Lochinver

Sailing between Skye and Benbecula I had my first ever encounter with dolphins on the bow, they stayed for about an hour. Later some more arrived, and as I closed on Lochboisedale marina, another pod made a brief appearance. I took a lot of videos and though I could make a 5 minute video, but I eventually reduced it down to 9½ minutes for YouTube. If you like dolphins then you will see 2 long clips that are very special, as most people have never seen either in real life, but I was very lucky to see both on the same day.

Screenshot (177).png

Heading further south to Ardfern, I met several forum members. One suggested we go for a bike ride together which was different. However, he refused to try flying my drone as he knew he would want to buy one. Another has led to me being asked to participate in an all day event at the Cruising Association on sailing round Britain in one trip as all the other speakers will cover sections in detail. Heading south the island of Gigha was stunning with such clear waters and I cycled to both ends of the island and visited the famous gardens.

Gigha E 1000pix.jpg
The pontoon at Gigha

Part 2 in the next post as text is too long in a single post. It does mean I can now include 24 photos.

Last edited:

Concerto

Visit site
Then it was across to Northern Island to meet up with friends in Ballycastle. I last saw them in Hartlepool and they used the Caledonian Canal, so to catch up with them was quite a feat considering I had sailed a considerably longer distance. They we surprised to see me, we parted the following day. From here I cycled to the Giant's Cuseway.

IMG_5589 1000pix.jpg

Visiting Rathlin Island was special as I cycled to all 3 lighthouses.

IMG_5645 1000pix.jpg
Rathlin Harbour

I met my friends again in Bangor, before I headed for Belfast to see the Titanic Museum.

IMG_5809 1000pix.jpg
The Titanic Museum lit up at night.

As I sailed towards Bangor, I passed an interesting cliff walk and wanted to walk it. This involved visiting Carrickfergus to reach the Gobbins Walk. This is highly recommended.

IMG_5832 1000pix.jpg
Gobbins Walk

Further south I entered the notoriously tricky Strangford Lough with its strong tides. I very much enjoyed the places I visited and loved going clubbing in Quoile, such a friendly club. They even invited me to join a large wedding celebration of a member. Later I suffered a self inflicted problem, I ran out of diesel. I had forgotten to check the tank for a long time. To get some fuel involved sailing alongside a pontoon at Killyleagh Yacht Club and a member was very helpful and drove me to the local fuel station.

Quoile POYX5744 1000pix.jpg
Quoile Yacht Club

Then I headed for the Isle of Man. Arriving in Peel on a very windy day was fun and I very nearly hit the sea wall, but I was there close to high water so could enter the marina straight away. Later I went to Douglas, but this is a place I would never visit again due to the berth they squeezed me into at 3 am when there was an empty double berth close by. Then for a marina built in 2000, the toilet facilities were more suited to a prison than a marina.

IMG_6122 1000pix.jpg
It was a tight fit.

IMG_6094 cropped 1000pix.jpg
See what I mean.

In Conwy I met up with my daughter and her family. The sunrise as I left was spectacular.

IMG_6185 1000pix.jpg
7am

Entering the Menai Straights was easy, then passing under the Menai Bridge and through the Swellies and then under the Britannia Bridge was special. Later I cycled from Caernarfon back to the museum about the bridges and took some beautiful drone shots.

DJI_0195 Menai 1000pix.jpg
Menai Bridge

In Pwllheli I met with a fellow Fulmar owner who I have been mentoring over the past 4 years during his rebuild of this abandoned boat.

DJI_0222 Pwllheli 1000pix.jpg
Pwllheli Marina.

Next, I planned to go to Fishguard, but the wind direction would have made it an uncomfortable harbour, so I continued through the Ramsey Sound to Dale, Milford Haven. It was a moonless night and I waited for ¾ hour for the tide to turn and used the chart plotter to navigate through this dangerous passage.

Another windy day took me to Padstow. Very picturesque with loads of grockles. With poor weather forecast soon, I missed the Isles of Scilly out, so headed for Newlyn. Now SE gales hit and delayed me further. When the forecast dropped to Force 7, I headed for Brixham. It was a very rough ride at times with a squall of Force 8 with lightening. The following day I quickly edited a video of some of the conditions and this is now the most watched video I have on YouTube.

After several days, I headed for Poole. Then entering the Solent two days before the boat show started. I could not get a berth in Ocean Village but berthed in the Hamble. This meant a 7 mile journey each way to the show ground, luckily, I went over the day before the show opened and learnt the route. By the end of the show, I had now cycled almost 350 miles since buying the bike. That is about the same a cycling from Southampton to Carlisle.

IMG_6853 1000pix.jpg
Early morning on the Hamble.

Leaving the Solent, I had Matt a fellow Fulmar owner join me, but due to him being seasick 3 times I changed my destination from Eastbourne to Brighton, so he could return home.

The following day I headed for Ramsgate, but when the wind dropped, I found the engine would not start due to an electrical short. The nearest Beta agent was in Dover, but the marina was not accepting visitors but eventually relented. It did mean being towed in, a first for me in over a half century of sailing and then getting the fault traced. Finally, I headed for Chatham. These last three days seemed to try and stop me ending this trip, as I had to motor all the way home as the wind shifted to remain on my bow as I turned 180 degrees to enter the Thames.

IMG_9822 1000pix.jpg
Yours truly on the helm.

How much did it all cost?

I budgeted for £3,000 but only spent a few pounds over £2,500 on berthing (Brixham and the Hamble I used my MDL Freedom berthing). If I had anchored more, this could have been substantially reduced.
I used about £500 of diesel.
All of the repairs and breakages came to under £300.
So, excluding food, regular maintenance items, visitor fees, the total was about £3,300.

The two big special purchases I made of the drone and bike were £675 and £1630 respectively. Both I am glad I bought for improving my enjoyment of the trip.

The trip was a wonderful experience during a fairly windy year and cost less than I expected. The big disappointments for me were I was only able to set my spinnaker once on this trip due to adverse winds and I was unable to fly my drone to video Concerto under sail.

May I thank all of you for your comments and suggestions during the trip. Again, it was great to talk to so many forum members throughout this trip and at the boat show. It does seem so many of you loved my writing and photos. Please remember I am just a regular yachtsman who has done something many sailors dream of doing and pushed limits that meant I could complete this epic voyage in just over 3½ months, if I exclude the boat show period. Whenever you see Concerto in a harbour, you are always welcome to come over for a chat.

Now all I have to do it get editing all of the videos I have taken.

For anyone wanting to read the reports from the start, this is the link to first one.
Round Britian day 1
All the links with place names are in my about me page available from my avatar.

Last edited:

Supertramp

Visit site
Inspirational. I have really enjoyed your account. So much better than YouTube. After initially not understanding your love of strong winds and reluctance to anchor, I now have an insight into your approach. You have not just sailed round but you have explored and gained a sense of the places you visited.

You must also be proud of your boat and your work on her.

Have a good rest and I hope you will post further travels in a similar way.

dunedin

Visit site
Great summary, as always.

Regarding costs (copied below), clearly as you say you could have saved a little bit by anchoring more (eg on the West coast), but £2,500 for a 127 day trip looks pretty good - at under £20 a night surprisingly so.

But you are perhaps missing one big compensating factor. Being away for the summer, a boat that normally is berthed in a marina can save the vast majority of an annual marina berth cost. In our marina the winter cost is less than 30% of the annual cost.
So not sure what you saved from not having a summer marina berth in Chatham, but I suspect for most people with marina berths, if use the anchor the summer cruise can be much cheaper than leaving the boat in the marina. Bargain !

EXTRACTED QUOTE - How much did it all cost?

I budgeted for £3,000 but only spent a few pounds over £2,500 on berthing (Brixham and the Hamble I used my MDL Freedom berthing). If I had anchored more, this could have been substantially reduced.
So, excluding food, regular maintenance items, visitor fees, the total was about £3,300.

Minerva

Visit site
On the costs, how many nights did you anchor? I got the impression that you stayed on a pontoon, most if not all nights? - Not meant as a criticism, but at a way of computing what your costs actually relate to. :)

Concerto

Visit site
Great summary, as always.

Regarding costs (copied below), clearly as you say you could have saved a little bit by anchoring more (eg on the West coast), but £2,500 for a 127 day trip looks pretty good - at under £20 a night surprisingly so.

But you are perhaps missing one big compensating factor. Being away for the summer, a boat that normally is berthed in a marina can save the vast majority of an annual marina berth cost. In our marina the winter cost is less than 30% of the annual cost.
So not sure what you saved from not having a summer marina berth in Chatham, but I suspect for most people with marina berths, if use the anchor the summer cruise can be much cheaper than leaving the boat in the marina. Bargain !

EXTRACTED QUOTE - How much did it all cost?

I looked into trying to save the berthing costs for being away for the summer. It proved to be not viable as I would have moved from an annual contract to a monthly contract, which was higher, I would probably loose the brilliant berth I currently occupy which is close to shore and the toilet block, plus I would have been forced to use the new Otium scheme rather than stay on the Freedom Berthing which is better for me. On the plus side, my berth is regularly used for visitors and from this year MDL are giving a £3 per night used against future services or berth contract. Fortunately my annual berthing is only just over £3700 and I will still be using the berth for 8 months.

owen

Visit site
You could have made a good saving by anchoring rather than harbours.... but you were single handed. Getting ashore and seeing the ports and meeting people make the journey and keep your sanity. I think you did exactly the right thing.

Paul Heiney wrote a very fine book about going round Britain with his family. Do you think you have enough to write a book.? You certainly have the ability to keep people interested with your stories

Mister E

Visit site
Even with the costs of the Marina's I was surprised at how low the cost was.
For such a long journey, still cheaper than going to Spain for that length of time.

jac

Visit site
You could have made a good saving by anchoring rather than harbours.... but you were single handed. Getting ashore and seeing the ports and meeting people make the journey and keep your sanity. I think you did exactly the right thing.

Paul Heiney wrote a very fine book about going round Britain with his family. Do you think you have enough to write a book.? You certainly have the ability to keep people interested with your stories
That was his wife Libby Purves wasn't it ???? - One Summers Grace

fredrussell

Visit site
Well done Concerto, if Westerly were still trading I’m sure they would be sponsoring you. Best advert for a Fulmar I’ve seen!

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your views on the Raymarine Evo tiller pilot’s performance during the trip? I know you had a few problems with the mounting pin(?) shearing, but other than that how’s it been? Potential buyer of one here.

Concerto

Visit site
Well done Concerto, if Westerly were still trading I’m sure they would be sponsoring you. Best advert for a Fulmar I’ve seen!

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your views on the Raymarine Evo tiller pilot’s performance during the trip? I know you had a few problems with the mounting pin(?) shearing, but other than that how’s it been? Potential buyer of one here.
As an advert, the renovation work to Concerto, showing her off at last year's boat show and this trip all help show what can be done with an older boat.

Compared to a tiller pilot, the Evo 100 has a ram that is 50% larger than the one it replaced. It handles most weather up to an including force 8 pretty well provided the sail plan is balanced. The problems I had were mainly from excessive wind and waves. The 6mm bolt on the forward end of the tiller bracket sheared twice and has now been upgraded to 8mm. The pin for the ram sheared and I had to get a new one machined from a 8mm bolt as the original was 7mm. Whether you would sail in conditions like I am happy in, would be you decision.

The compass unit caused some problems exceeding the maximum deviation. This has now been identified as two problems. The first was caused because I needed new sailing boots in Wick, but could only buy fishermans boots. These boots have safety toes and sole that are magnetic! The second problem is the new fridge compressor is mounted at the correct distance away, but I am sure this has a large magnetic field as it starts up. I need to move the compass unit to a new position, but need an additional cable.

Overall I would certainly recommend it as a powerful autopilot and would certainly fit it again.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Inspiring,

we only did South Cornwall to Mull and back. 10 weeks plus a bit, with probably less than £250 fuel used if only because the stern tube leaked badly if we went above 1500rpm, so constrained to run at economical revs. We mostly went for anchorages in the islands or somewhat rustic pontoons but as we can take the ground we got a bit blase about depth. It was the fancy meals out when both Ireland N&S and Scotland ran out of 907 camping gaz, that cost us

So 22 islands seen and 7 regions, and yes it was cold at 14C this July until we got back to Cornwall.

Maybe in two years time we can do the northern hebrides, our current boat is possibly too small and slow to make Shetland realistic, though visiting Fair Isle again is attractive

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I can’t understand why you skipped the entire Bristol Channel and just went from Milford to Padstow. Churning seas, no all-weather ports excluding maybe Cardiff, wild tides, sandbanks and rocks. Surely the most thrilling sailing in Britain. Allright I’ll get me coat.
Well done on a great circumnavigation and for keeping up the blog and videos.